Info Win 10 computer speed capped at 11mbps on 100+ connection (DELL)

May 30, 2019
Hopefully this is allowed. I just wanted to post this in the hopes that this helps someone and they don't waste all the time trying to figure out like i did.

I have a reasonably new dell, my internet connection is Pro Tier 150+ and it's always worked pretty well. A couple of days ago, I started getting lag and having connections time out briefly. I started poking around and via task manager, my network (wired) on the computer was showing 11mpbs throughput instead of the 100+ it should. Speedtest by Ookla would start to zoom above 50, then quickly come back to 9-10mbps and just hover there. I checked all the other computers on my network, their speed was fine, it was just this computer, and just recently.

Things i tried to no avail:
-Wireless connection
-Changing speed/duplex on adapter
-Reinstalling driver for adapter
-Disabling QoS Packet Scheduler
-Disabled auto-tuning in network interface.
-Virus scan
-Router reboot/different connection slots
-Reinstalling video driver
-New cat6 cable
None had any effect on my connection. Speedtest needle would jump up, then drop back to 9 and stay there for the duration of the test.

Finally i found a post about AMD's all in one app causing similar issues, I have NVIDIA so that wasn't my case, but it did make me start thinking I might have a rogue app. About 20 mins of searching/research led me to an app called Smartbyte drivers and services. A quick google search led me to the Dell forums, where resident experts were advising people to remove it. I uninstalled, and immediately my speed jumped back above 100mbps. Apparently this app either came with my computer and just recently started acting up, or it was slipped in a Dell update. Doesn't really matter, it was 100% the cause of my issues.

Cheers!

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
100 mbps is equivalent to 12,5 mb/s meaning
MB/s = mbps/8

Each time you download a file, there's an overhead. That overhead is due to starting the connection. Let's assume you are using HTTP to download the file. Each time you download a file the data has to accompanied by a HTTP header, which is needed for the file to be passed from the remote source to your computer.

When downloading via HTTP, a TCP connection is generated. It takes time to setup the connection.

All this overhead, repeated 100 times, make it slower when compared to downloading a single file that is just as big as the combined size of the 100 files.

Extra info for those who like a better understanding of how download speed and connections work.