win 10 does not play my video files

thefinest1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
hi all,

I recently installed win 10 on a new build. my previous build was windows 7. I've noticed that my video files that was working well in win 7 does not play in windows 10. why is this, and how can I make WMP my default like it was belore. I should mention I have K-lite codec installed

thanks

Jamie_69

Respectable
Dec 20, 2016
Right click the video, select 'open with', 'choose another app', choose WMP and make sure to tick 'aways use this program to open this type of file'

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
WMP still exists, and @JAmie_69's solution will work.....for strict video files.

Remember, DVD playback was removed from W10's native environment (including WMP), and you'll need to look to TP options like VLC if you want to play back DVDs.

As an FYI, VLC is a more robust (and IMO, user-friendly) option vs WMP, and I'd suggest you give it some consideration - unless you have any specific requirement for using WMP, of course.

Install VLC or CCCP to cover all video codec formats. Windows generally only provides codecs for the most common types and even then not all the variations of it. For example they only added support for .MKV in Windows 10 and not every variation. So if something doesn't play right you'll need 3rd party support like you did with your K-lite on your old setup.

thefinest1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
thanks all,

the video in question worked. by default it is set up to launch "films and TV" app, whatever that is, but works fine in WMP. I didn't see the option for 'always use this program to open this type of file' though.

@barty, no, specific reason for WMP. I think its because I just want a one stop shop to play everything, and have been used to WMP since 1998!!

virat8586

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I would suggest you to install vlc player and then right click the video, select 'open with', 'choose another app', choose VLC and make sure to tick 'always use this program to open this type of file