[SOLVED] Win 10 does not see my drives

Graebeard

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
I have a strange problem. My pc was working fine, then I went on vacation for a couple of weeks. I turned off my comp and when I came home and turned things on, my pc gave me a "no drives found" error message and stopped. I checked my BIOS and all 6 of my drives were recognized and marked as OK. As the startup continued, I got the " no drives found" error then a "no operating system found error". I rechecked the HDD boot priority and actually cycled through each drive, but had the same results.

I usually keep my pc ON 24/7 so I actually power down maybe 2 or 3 times per year, so this was quite a surprise. Like I said up top, everything worked one day, then after a two week power down, Win 10 can't find any drives.

I downloaded the MS MediaCreationTool and put it on a USB stick, booted off that, and tried the Repair, Diskpart repair routine, but still can't see any drives, so can't start Windows.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Grae

Graebeard

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
so Diskpart /List disk shows no drives?

See if this works - : https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508
Thanks Colif,

Tried it and ran down to step 5 in the link. It found 0 windows installations, so I skipped to Step 7. It started then came back with "Path not found c:\boot"

I tried "cd C:\" to reach the drive itself, but got the same error. What does this all mean?

Up until a few months ago, my C drive was part of a RAID system where one of the HD's failed so the RAID was split and a new drive installed. The maon C drive was then Checkdisked and repaired as needed. Been working fine until this issue. Is it possible that my main C drive failed upon power-up? If that's the case, what are my options?

Appreciate the help

Grae

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So can you help me here understand more.

You have 6 drives - got that

How was your raid array configured? Was it a huge striped RAID 0? or a RAID 5? Or multiple RIAD 1 Mirrors?

Secondly you mentioned removing C from the array, so as of when your failure happened your C drive was not part of the array just a drive on its own?

Graebeard

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
Yes, six drives, originally striped as RAID 0. That failed some months ago, so RAID was broken and and one drive removed and replaced, while the other was Check disked and repaired. That was my drive C that has worked fine for the past several months until I powered down, then rebooted 2 weeks later. At that point I started getting these errors, including the "path not found" one I just discovered .

FYI, i just ran the diskpart routine and this is what I get

Disk ### Status Size Free
---------------------------------------------------
Disk 0 Online 596 GB 338 GB
Disk 1 Online 1863 GB 0 B
Disk 2 Online 1863 GB 9 MB
Disk 3 Online 596 GB 596 GB
Disk 4 Online 1863 GB 9 MB
Disk 5 Online 1863 GB 0 B
Disk 6 Online 28 GB 0 B

Disk 0 and 3 are both 640 GB drives which made up my RAID drive but not sure why Drive 3 looks to be empty.

The four 2TB drives are my data drives, so I expect that my C drive should be on Disk 0 and that's the one I selected and activated. When I tried to rebuild BCD I received the path not found error.

Reactions: Colif

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
For the hell of it can you disconnect everything but the physical C drive?

Can you confirm your CMOS hasn't reset or anything like that, making the system unable to see the drive (unlikely but worth looking)

Sure sounds like it just up and failed on its own. The RAID has nothing to do with it.