Question Win 10 doesn't detect new HD, BIOS Does, and testing it by where to reinstall Win 10 does

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I formatted a new SSD HD by attaching it to a SATA to USB 3 external USB port. I've installed it on my MB, an Aorus B550 Pro V2, which recognizes it. Win 10, doesn't recognize it at all. Diskpart doesn't find it when I List Disks,. and the Disk Management tool doesn't find it at either. It doesn't show up in the Device Manager, even in hidden view. Updating from Bios F14 to F15 didn't help, and I do not use RAID. s for testing which drive to reinstall on, I ran across that advice elsewhere. when I reached the part where I choose which drive to install Win 10 on, It does show the drive there. I quit the installation at that point, of course. Any other ideas will be welcomed! I am really stumped.

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version F14 was the dreaded 1.2.0.5 AGESA code so it's a good thing you moved away from it. You mentioned being on BIOS version F15, are you on F15a or F15c? As for your issue, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

You've posted this thread in the Windows 10 section, based off of that, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

In order to rule out the ports being the fault, might want to try a different SATA cable. Likewise, try and connect the SSD to another system and see if it shows up in BIOS's storage devices.

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Thank you for your help.
The BIOS is 15C
AMD Ryzen 3600
Aorus B550 Pro 2
Patriot Viper Steel, 3600, 36GB
Crucial P2 NAND NVME 1TB
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB * found in Bios, not in Win 10.
PNY NVidia STX 1650 Super
Montech Century 550w
Corsair 110Q
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
LG 24" 4k monitor

I found out that Although the PSU connector and SATA connectors are working with my DVD drive, When I hook up the Samsung or an older Hard Drive, the hidden view in the Device Manager gives a warning that they are not conected.