Win 10 from HDD to new nvme ssd

ziga383

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
There is currently only a 2T HDD in my computer. Since boot times are sluggish i bought a 256GB Intel 760p NVMe SSD.

I have more than a terabyte of data on the HDD so cloning it whole is out of the question. I'd like to only move the operating system (win 10) to the SSD but the os itself is not in a separate partition so i'm not sure how to do that either.

Can i just install windows on my SSD, delete it from the HDD and change the boot order in the bios? If so how do i delete windows without loosing my other files?

If anyone feels like explaining it id also appreciate some advice on how to create a partition for the os I am about to install on the new SSD.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

You can't.
Obviously, 1TB+ data won't fit into a...
You can't clone. For cloning to be possible, used space on source drive needs to be smaller than size of target drive. You'd have to uninstall a bunch of software and delete a load of data.

It seems, your only option is clean install.
Correct way of doing it -
  • disconnect HDD,
    install NVME drive,
    install windows onto it,
    reconnect HDD.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't.
Obviously, 1TB+ data won't fit into a 256GB drive.
And you [strike]can[/strike] can't clone "only the OS"
And you also can't move your existing programs into the new OS and drive.

For what is currently on the HDD:
You need to discover and copy to elsewhere any personal files. Doc/Music/Video/etc. Not programs.
Do a clean install on the SSD. This includes drivers, applications, etc.
Later, reconnect the old HDD, and wipe it of ALL partitions.
Then, you can copy your personal stuff back to the now blank HDD.

Question:
What motherboard are you working with here?

Solution

ziga383

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Working with a B350 PC MATE motherboard. It does support the intel 760p if that's why you're asking.
A clean install it is i guess. It'll be annoying and time consuming but it is what it is.

Thank you for clearing out things for me.

*Won't be putting the ssd in for another few days so feel free to add stuff to your answer

ziga383

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017

Did what you suggested and everything works fine :) Thank you

TRENDING THREADS