Question Win 10: How Do I Change Drive Storage Location for Applications?

Jan 5, 2020
I am setting up a brand new OMEN Obelisk Desktop 875-0035qe with a 238 GB drive for Win 10 and 2 TB drive for data. The Change Where New Content Is Saved feature is not working after changing the drive letters from C to D; everything is still being saved to the smaller 238 GB C: drive where Win 10 was pre-installed.

I've read countless help topics all saying to use the Change Where New Content Is Saved feature. Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope. P.S. I am also brand new Win 10 user previously using Win 7.

Drive Specs:
Storage
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD[13]
[13] Actual formatted capacity is less. Portion of internal storage is reserved for preloaded content.

Secondary storage
2 TB 7200 rpm SATA[14]
[14] For storage drives, TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 35GB of drive is reserved for system recovery software.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020
Everything means I changed each destination box (shown in picture below) from Drive C: to D: Basically, all I want on Drive C: is my Win 10 operating system and its updates; all other content should be saved to Drive D. In spite of changing Where New Content Is Saved to D:, all content is still saved to C:
D9G6ivg.jpg

Jan 5, 2020
Being brand new to Win 10, I thought the Change Where New Content IS Saved feature would do what it says. I selected that my Apps be saved to D: Afterwards, when I download and install a few Steam games, they save to C: instantly using all the storage space of the smaller 238 GB drive where Win 10 is installed.

I just got off the phone with HP Support, and the two technicians I spoke to are not even familiar with the current gaming computer they are selling. The tech recommenced that I reinstall Win 10 to Drive D:, and not use Drive C: I am a bit discouraged that a factory built, out-of-the-box computer was designed to have storage issues from day one.