Question Win 10 insisting I've unplugged my headset audio when I plug in the separate microphone jack.

Sep 7, 2019
I'm having problems with a gaming headset. It has a built in mic and only one jack, so I'm using the built in PC adapter that has separate audio and microphone jacks.

For some reason, my PC will only let me use either the audio jack OR the mic jack. I can't use both together. If I plug the mic jack in alongside the audio jack, it tells me I've disconnected the headphones. I've tried both sets of audio ports (front and back) on my PC and it tells me I unplugged the headphones on both if I plug the mic jack in. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers, it's made no difference. I did manage to get it working earlier today for about 30 seconds where both worked at the same time, I have no idea how, but it quickly stopped working again and hasn't worked since.

Any suggestions or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is driving me crazy! Thank you :)

Sep 7, 2019
I'm having problems with a gaming headset. It has a built in mic and only one jack, so I'm using the PC adapter that came with it which has separate audio and microphone jacks.

For some reason, my PC will only let me use either the audio jack OR the mic jack. I can't use both together. If I plug the mic jack in alongside the audio jack, it tells me I've disconnected the headphones. I've tried both sets of audio ports (front and back) on my PC and it tells me I unplugged the headphones on both if I plug the mic jack in. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers, it's made no difference. I did manage to get it working earlier today for about 30 seconds where both worked at the same time, I have no idea how, but it quickly stopped working again and hasn't worked since.

Here's a video of what happens when using only the audio jack (Speakers are my headphones), then plugging in the mic jack which "unplugs" my speakers and they vanish from the Sounds output - View: https://i.imgur.com/V0azK2k.gifv

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy! Thank you :)

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Most contemporary PCs have a jack that actually shows a headset, and that jack is typically set up to accept the single plug that has ground, speaker (in the headset, in this case), and microphone contacts all in one.

Have you tried just plugging the gaming headset in this way, then checking to see what devices are shown as recognized when you click the speaker icon?

Sep 7, 2019
What model headset? Does it have a USB adapter or audio jacks only? If your computer has multiple , which ones are you using?

The headset isn't anything special, it's a Gioteck HC2+ and it uses an audio jack, but it came with a separate splitter with separate audio/mic jacks on, which is what I'm using now. PC has a headphone and mic port on the front and the usual audio ports on the back. Using both sets of ports does exactly the same, once I plug the mic jack in it says I've disconnected the audio jack. It's so odd that both jacks work separately, but just not together!

Sep 7, 2019
Most contemporary PCs have a jack that actually shows a headset, and that jack is typically set up to accept the single plug that has ground, speaker (in the headset, in this case), and microphone contacts all in one.

Have you tried just plugging the gaming headset in this way, then checking to see what devices are shown as recognized when you click the speaker icon?

I have, it unfortunately doesn't recognise the microphone without the splitter plugged in.