Win 10 install Kills Realtek RTL8188ee wifi adapter on HP 17-f1020us Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckj5

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I have a HP Pavilion Laptop(17-f020us) Prod. # G6R29UA. It has a Realtek RTL8188EE wifi adapter installed. Win 7 (64) was installed when purchased, there was no problem with wifi.

I upgraded to Win 10 a few days ago. Everything functions as expected except the Realtek RTL8188ee wifi adapter. I updated the driver as suggested by HP Support by sp72161. The updated driver had no effect. When I try to connect to the network, the computer notifies me “Cannot connect to this network”.

This is the latest driver from HP. I have e-mailed Realtek, they are ignoring me.

"Occasionally" I can connect via wifi but it drops the connection in less than a minute, and I cannot reconnect.

I can connect to the network by LAN.

Do you have any suggestions on how to approach repairing this problem? I have run Windows network repair many, many times and followed the instruction exactly. I am told to disconnect the router and plug it back in. I have followed the sequence for turning on the router and starting the computer.

In Device manager events console, Error 441 appears in each install instance, see below

Device PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C&REV_01\4&39742d9c&0&0012 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: SW\{EEAB7790-C514-11D1-B42B-00805FC1270E}\ASYNCMAC
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF112
Present: false

I have run HP Support and followed all the steps as suggested per this http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04649175 I have uninstalled and installed the adapter a number of times.

HP says "It could be a lot of things" that is a quote.

I have tried two different Netgear routers, if that could make a difference, all others computers (five - 2 desktops - 3 laptops) connect.

Can you help me fix this problem.

Thank you

Solution
HP has knowingly put faulty Realtek RTL8188EE WiFi adapters into their products since June 2014. This is a known issue that HP refuses to address.

I spent 2 months trying to figure out the problem. I spent 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft and they couldn't fix the issue...even after remotely taking over my computer. I spent $50 on a NetGear external WiFi adapter...and it worked great. However, since my computer is less than a year old, I shouldn't have to have an external.

The problem is the internal WiFi adapter itself. It is a faulty component that people have been complaining about since 2014. I called HP's corporate office and stated that I was aware that they knew of the issue, and could provide more than 10 pages from...

chuckj5

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

First driver I tried, didn't do the job.
Thanks for the suggestion.

chuckj5

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Rather than throw in the towel, I went to Realtek and downloaded every driver for the 8188 mini card adapter. I then installed all of them (I think it was a total of 12 applicable drivers), one at a time. Some were rejected outright. The ones that did install did not allow connection to the network for more than two minutes, then dropped the connection, never to connect again. I finally gave up and restored Win 8.1. Quick and painless and no problem with the wifi.

chuckj5

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
OOPs, spoke to soon. A pox upon Realtek. Wifi adapter does no work after 4 hours.I am thinking about doing a USB adapter and disable the Realtek.. Any suggestions on a reliable brand and model?

RoMee187

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
If you can access your wifi card then just buy a new card. They're only about $20, give or take depending on features.
I bought an intel 7260 that comes with Bluetooth and support AC for about $23

As for your question, I bought this and it work pretty good. I didn't want something huge or something that cost a lot because it was a laptop I rarely used.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Wireless-802-11n-RTL8188CUS-Raspberry/dp/B00H28H8DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441074931&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+wifi+adapter

I used it on an old Dell laptop that I thought had a broken wifi card. Connection was stable even on the second floor. But I only used it for a week so ymmv.

ChelBell

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
HP has knowingly put faulty Realtek RTL8188EE WiFi adapters into their products since June 2014. This is a known issue that HP refuses to address.

I spent 2 months trying to figure out the problem. I spent 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft and they couldn't fix the issue...even after remotely taking over my computer. I spent $50 on a NetGear external WiFi adapter...and it worked great. However, since my computer is less than a year old, I shouldn't have to have an external.

The problem is the internal WiFi adapter itself. It is a faulty component that people have been complaining about since 2014. I called HP's corporate office and stated that I was aware that they knew of the issue, and could provide more than 10 pages from just one thread of their HP Forum where hundreds of others, were having the same issue. I threatened them with a class action lawsuit if they didn't do something about it immediately.

They have agreed (in writing) that they will fix my laptop and replace the WiFi adapter card FREE OF CHARGE. I suggest that every one else, who is experiencing this issue, call the HP Corporate office at : 650-857-1501. Press "0" and speak to an operator. Tell them you want to speak to a US Case Manager about this ongoing issue. IF the case manager refuses to assist you, then call the Corporate office number back, press "0" and ask to speak to an "Executive Customer Relations" associate. They WILL (AND MUST) FIX THIS KNOWN ISSUE AT NO COST TO YOU!

Apparently, this is such a "hot topic" that, with what I know about this issue, I am being "silenced" on the HP forum. They don't want people to know that they can fix it by replacing the adapter with one that is NOT a Realtek component. They don't want you to know that you have RIGHTS as a consumer!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS