[SOLVED] Win 10 - Keeps Logging Me In Under A Temp Profile

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Currently on my laptop. Ill just jump right in on whats going on. Last night I installed Team Viewer on my PC and Laptop so I could essentially use my PC while laying in bed and winding down. Woke up a few hours ago and starting working on my PC. It randomly hard froze and became completely unresponsive. This isnt too uncommon. Im basically pushing it beyond its capabilities (Working on a new build). I know hard powering off isnt good for computers, but Im not sold on that being the issue.

• I use Google Chrome
  • I visit a LOT of sites both for fun, interest, and/or work
  • I have LOTS of extensions
  • I use and keep open a lot of tabs
  • I try to routine delete my cache & cookies
  • I have a subscription to Restoro that I use pretty regularly
  • I do not download torrents
  • I do not stream movies/shows
  • I recently deleted CCleaner
  • I use Windows Defender as my anti-virus EDIT I do have the base Kaspersky Anti Virus as well. Which Im questioning now. Just for the fact of whats going on over there and how 90% of the world has more or less turned their backs on Russia. RESTORO is flagging something with Kaspersky, but I just assumed it was a False Positive....? 😧
After hard freezing this morning, I powered it off and back on. My profile name and everything came up, but I noticed it was a different background image than it has been for the last 2+ months. I got the "We can't sign into your account" and was signed into a TEMP profile. I entered the CMD Prompt on the TEMP Proile "regedit" and then went to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" I deleted my Temp Profile Folder and then deleted the .bak extension from my actual real folder. After restarting the PC this is where a lot of people seemed to have their issues fixed. I thought it worked for me, but it ultimately made another TEMP Profile. Thats currently where Im at. I ran a System Scan with Windows Defender, with nothing detected. Im currently System Scanning via 'RESTORO'. Then I will reboot and see if anything it addressed ending up being the issue.

Not trying to leave out any relevant information, but Im sure there is LOTS of info you guys need that I havent provided. Just tell me what info to get or screenshot and Ill add them to the post

Last edited:
Solution
if you can get into your normal user, I would suggest making a new local user and see if it stops the madness. Its possible you have a corrupted User profile

If you can get onto account, make a local account - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d
make it admin
copy contents of c:/users/old user onto c:/users/newuser to give it the same access as before.
logon to it and see if you have same problems.

I have seen it before, I had to create a new user on 10 as my profile got corrupted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you can get into your normal user, I would suggest making a new local user and see if it stops the madness. Its possible you have a corrupted User profile

If you can get onto account, make a local account - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d
make it admin
copy contents of c:/users/old user onto c:/users/newuser to give it the same access as before.

I have seen it before, I had to create a new user on 10 as my profile got corrupted.

Solution

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021

make it admin

This is going to sound really dumb, but Im not sure which is my "Normal User Profile"

This is what I see, where Im at, and what Im currently doing just to be on the save side with my data:

Folders Within C: > Users>
  • Public
  • "My Name"
  • "My Name"DESKTOP-O0BL***
  • TEMP
  • TEMP.DESKTOP-O0BL***
  • TEMP.DESKTOP-O0BL***.000

** I copied ALL 4 Folders to my External HD **

Im currently on whats supposed to be my account. It has my name, just like before, and also my working PIN to signs into the account. Its also Admin already.

Apps/Software isnt installed, but the .exe for them is still present. Chrome was already installed. Other programs like Discord, GIMP, OBS Studio, Audacity, etc are all here. My Downloads folder is still populated and seemingly looks the same. However its the default blue background on the desktop and the programs are neatly aligned on the far left of the screen versus random clutter of how they were arranged. My Google Profiles and Extensions arent back currently despite "Sync" being on and me signing into Google Chrome on my PC. As I type this on my laptop on my Chrome Profile here, with all the extensions and everything showing correctly. Very odd. I havent had computer issues in like 4-5 years, so Im not sure what to make of my current situation.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know what OOBE is but not sure what OOBL is?
OOBE = Out of Box Experience so could guess OOBL = Out of Box Login. Which must be why it makes a guest account - I can't find anything to confirm this though.

I suspect your current user is in the One under your name. I only have 2 folders
  1. Public
  2. My name
it seems you can get temp folders after enabling the built in admin account, it probably did that when you came in as a guest - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s-folder/e7b0915f-15a2-4383-9dae-2ffd025d7846

I would still make a new account, just in case.

Do you have PC set up for auto logon using netplwiz? as that is how I got stuck, PC would go wrong somewhere and instead of auto logging into my normal account I would get a guest account
Ever since I just use a pin at startup rather than risk it happening again.

It only happened to me once in 6 years of using windows 10. Its not common, I only see a few people with problem a year. It may never happen again.

here is another fix that might help = https://winaero.com/windows-10-youve-been-signed-in-with-a-temporary-profile/ (if you get to last stage and profile is corrupt, I would probably make new user instead of start again.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS