[SOLVED] Win 10 Key

Salty25

Commendable
May 4, 2021
I'm about to upgrade my PC which is running Win 10 Home 64bit. I have Win 10 loaded onto a 120GB SSD for my C: drive but I run most of my programs on a 2TB HDD for my E: drive. I'm thinking about getting a 500GB SSD to replace my C: drive after I get the system back up and running.

Currently configuration:
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
i5 4670
DDR3 16G Ram
MSI GTX 1060

I'm changing to:
Asus ROG STRIX B560-A
i5 11400
DDR4 16G RAM
MSI GTX 1060 (Going to use the same video card)

My friend thinks I will need a new key for Win 10. So if I do how can I get one? I guess when I go to boot it will ask for a new key if needed. So should I just go ahead an buy one or wait to see if it will ask?

Thanks for the info.

Solution
Since you are changing the whole system, a full OS reinstall is indicated.

Where did the OS come from?

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the OS install:

USAFRet

Titan

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the OS install:

Solution

Salty25

Commendable
May 4, 2021

I got the OS when I bought the original system from Cyberpower back in 2018. It was updated to the Win 10, from Win 8 I think. I just did a reinstall due to a failed CPU swap or should I say BIOS update. I had to reinstall via a download; I don't have a disk.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
I got the OS when I bought the original system from Cyberpower back in 2018. It was updated to the Win 10, from Win 8 I think. I just did a reinstall due to a failed CPU swap or should I say BIOS update. I had to reinstall via a download; I don't have a disk.

Thanks.
OK.
An original Win 8 that was upgraded to Win 10 is transferable.
See the above link from MS for "after hardware change".