Question Win 10 laptop keeps disconnecting from the internet

Aug 18, 2021
So my PC would randomly disconnect from the wifi, and upon attempting to reconnect would give me the "cannot connect to network" error message. It happens particularly when I am playing games, and would fix itself upon restart.

I did multiple network resets, didn't help. The network troubleshooter tells me "a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken", I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter, updating it, manually reseting the TCP/IP stack, renewing the IP address, flushing the DNS cache

It would work, but the moment I would start a game on Steam, it would disconnect. Offline, online, does not matter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Aug 18, 2021
I've been having this exact same problem for MONTHS (And have done at least 50 different things that also don't work). Would love an answer for this also, literally struggling to connect as I type this from my phone.

Reactions: as539
Aug 18, 2021
I've been having this exact same problem for MONTHS (And have done at least 50 different things that also don't work). Would love an answer for this also, literally struggling to connect as I type this from my phone.
It's annoying as hell, it started happening about a week ago, never before that, and only when gaming. I tried every solution I could think of, nothing works.

Jul 5, 2021
If you bang in LAN cable is it ok ?

Go to settings via device manager and check wireless card is set to full bandwidth 20/40 Mhz or 40/80 Mhz , if its 2.4 or 5 Ghz respectively.
Also de-tick box for "allow windows to turn off this device to save power " in these settings.

Is Wifi card getting hot ?

Have you blown out vents recently ?

Can you remove a cover on base to expose wifi card , check its docked into its connector correctly ?

Aug 18, 2021

Go to settings via device manager and check wireless card is set to full bandwidth 20/40 Mhz or 40/80 Mhz , if its 2.4 or 5 Ghz respectively.
Also de-tick box for "allow windows to turn off this device to save power " in these settings.

Can you remove a cover on base to expose wifi card , check its docked into its connector correctly ?
I've updated the wifi driver, rolled it back, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, unchecked the power option, what else. I changed beacon interval to 120, tried public/private network, my games are allowed through firewall, what else; Network reset, I just now reinstalled an older driver as well.

Aug 18, 2021

I will check the wifi card tomorrow, since its a laptop I will take it to the Asus service center. Did a system reset, couldn't solve the issue.

Jul 5, 2021
Does it have warranty then ?

If not I would try a LAN cable first so you can be certain that the issue is with the wifi only , before taking a visit to the service centre , if anything it will help them diagnose the issue if you can be sure its a wifi problem , and not an issue with your router or broadband .

Aug 18, 2021
I've updated the wifi driver, rolled it back, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, unchecked the power option, what else. I changed beacon interval to 120, tried public/private network, my games are allowed through firewall, what else; Network reset, I just now reinstalled an older driver as well.
Gonna get my wifi card and network adapter checked tomorrow, did you do a hardware check.

Aug 18, 2021
Does it have warranty then ?

If not I would try a LAN cable first so you can be certain that the issue is with the wifi only , before taking a visit to the service centre , if anything it will help them diagnose the issue if you can be sure its a wifi problem , and not an issue with your router or broadband .
One year has passed unfortunately. I did try a direct connection, it works normally but when my pc disconnects and I troubleshoot, it tells me to connect a cable and it doesn't work. It's not my router because my wifi is working with other devices, even on my pc, but just goes tits up when I play a game.

Jul 5, 2021
So its NOT a WIFI or LAN issue , it's a NETWORKING issue .

Which is going to be 1 of 2 things , either the Motherboard is going faulty or the OS is badly hurt for some reason , it maybe time to do a clean install of Win 10 , as Networking issues like this can be really hard to diagnose and fix especially as it seems to be affecting both the onboard LAN port and the WIFI card that is probably on a socket on motherboard.

If you hate the idea of a clean install , you could try things that MAY affect NETWORKING like uninstall your anti virus , uninstall browser ,resetting networking and completely remove ALL previous networks etc , but it will be a long slog and will NEVER be as good as a fresh start.

Plus if it still does it after a clean install , it will now more likely be a hardware issue , WIFI card or Motherboard . If you do go clean install route , do not load anything more than Windows asks for , not even AV , load game and see if it works ok BEFORE adding the AV or any other games/programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: as539
Aug 18, 2021
So its NOT a WIFI or LAN issue , it's a NETWORKING issue .

Which is going to be 1 of 2 things , either the Motherboard is going faulty or the OS is badly hurt for some reason , it maybe time to do a clean install of Win 10 , as Networking issues like this can be really hard to diagnose and fix especially as it seems to be affecting both the onboard LAN port and the WIFI card that is probably on a socket on motherboard.

If you hate the idea of a clean install , you could try things that MAY effect NETWORKING like your anti virus , resetting networking and completely remove ALL previous networks etc , but it will be a long slog and will NEVER be as good as a fresh start.

Plus if it still does it after a clean install , it will now be a hardware issue , WIFI card or Motherboard .
Did a clean install, still happening. I'm gonna have an Asus guy look at the motherboard tomorrow.

Jul 5, 2021
Probably best , you might even get lucky and he finds something loose/disconnected/misaligned or loads of fluff inside causing it to overheat,

Good luck , please let us know if he heals it for you or simply condemns it.

Aug 18, 2021
Probably best , you might even get lucky and he finds something loose/disconnected/misaligned or loads of fluff inside causing it to overheat,

Good luck , please let us know if he heals it for you or simply condemns it.
Okay so after updating BIOS, and all the network adapters again, the problem still predictably arised but now device manager is giving an error message, that the wireless LAN cannot start (Code 10) and does not exist.