Question Win 10 Not Booting After 1903 Update - BCD Error 0xc0000098

Oct 22, 2019
Updated PC to 1903. After leaving the PC alone for hours to finish the updating, I was unable to get to the login screen. Keyboard lights were on, but no display (seems to have been an issue with Windows 10 and NVidia drivers, which apparently has been reported by users since early 2015).

Managed to get to recovery console and, after trying to uninstall Nvidia drivers without success (seems you can't uninstall video drivers in safe mode), I entered the recovery environment again and selected "uninstall recent updates". Windows immediately said it was unable to do so for some reason, and I restarted again. This time however, the PC immediately boots to an error screen which states

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
The boot configuration data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system
File: \BCD
Error code: 0xc0000098

Interesting, because the BCD was perfectly fine until Windows attempted its "fix". Before it tried to rollback the updates, I was able to get into safe mode without issue.

It tells me to insert recovery media and at the bottom it lists two options- F1 to enter recovery environment or Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings. Pressing either Esc or F1 does nothing at all. After about a minute the PC hard resets and the process starts over.

Please assist in helping me figure out what specifically I need to do in order to begin using my PC again. Should I use the 1903 Media Creation Tool to create a recovery USB? What options should I select when in the Recovery Environment?

Honestly Windows couldn't have done THAT MUCH to put the system in the state that it's in now. When I hit "Rollback Windows Updates" (or however the option is worded, I forget now) it was seriously only like half a second before Windows immediately said "Windows was unable to preform the action requested", and prior to me selecting that option I was able to boot into safe mode just fine. I just need to figure out what change was made when I pressed that option. It seems that Windows might've attempted to recover from the newly created recovery partition instead of the original(?). I'm showing over 4 different partitions on this disk currently.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

System Details:

· OS - Windows 10 x64 (Unsure of which version I had prior to updating; 1809 possibly?
· CPU - Intel i7-6800K
· Video Card - EVGA GTX 770
· MotherBoard - Asus x99-Pro
· Power Supply - PowerCooler 750watt
· Custom-built desktop

Edit- Most recent fix attempts:

From the command console in a USB recovery environment -

Attempted an "sfc /scannow". Windows reported no integrity violations.

Ran "c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s". Windows returns "Path not found". However there is a boot directory in C:\Windows. It shows the "EFI" and "PCAT" directories having been modified today.
-

A user on another forum mentioned that the boot directory isn't located on the root on UEFI-based systems, and instead in C:Windows\Boot\EFI.

I ran "bootrec /rebuildbcd". It found two Windows installations on disk- one in C:\WIndows and one in C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS. The modified dates on the directories inside "C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS" are from when I began the update process, so it seems that's the original. Regardless, after adding the installation to the boot list when prompted, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" returns "The system cannot find the path specified".

-

After selecting "Fix Boot Problems" in the Macrium Rescue Media environment and restarting my PC booted up to a black screen, just like it did right after I first installed the updates.

After rebooting again, I encounter another blue error screen, this time with error 0xc00000001 "Your PC couldn't turn off properly".

I'm given the following options this time, although like before, pressing any of the buttons does nothing.

Enter to try again
F1 to enter Recovery Environment
F8 for startup settings
Esc for UEFI firmware settings

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the model for your PowerColor PSU? How old is it? Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You might want to reinstall the OS after you've created a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Oct 22, 2019
Mind sharing the model for your PowerColor PSU? How old is it? Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You might want to reinstall the OS after you've created a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Looks like it's a "CS750M", and it's almost 5 years old now. The BIOS version is the most current, I updated that a few months ago when I was having issues with onboard wifi. I created an 1809 recovery USB and am considering running bcd checks, but am waiting for any additional input before going forward with it.