[Win 10] Pc keeps bsod'ing with a message "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

gime114

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
I had this issue for a while and I am quite a techie myself, so I was trying to fix it. But I haven't had a happy ending yet, so I am afraid it might be the hardware. Anyway the computer sometimes blue screens on me with a message "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT", this usually happens when I play games or watch YouTube, so it must be something related to those two things. My first instinct was to google the crap out of the problem and try to follow the recommended fixes and... Nothing helped. I already reinstalled windows twice with no success, checked all the drivers for updates, even tested the hardware ran through multiple cycles of everything (RAM, CPU, GPU, HDDs), but the problem just doesn't pop out. Here's the specs for you:

MoBo: MSI 880GMA-E55
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
GPU: GeForce GTX 750ti
RAM: 8GB Kingston (1333MHz)
HDD: WD Blue (1TB) - Storage, Hitachi (60GB) - System
PSU: I don't remember (definetely enough power though)
Cooling: Corsair H50i

The system ran fine on Windows 7 and for a whole year on Windows 10 and then the problem started popping up. I was speculating that it has to do something the dynamic (automatic) overclocking of the cpu. But wasn't quite sure how to turn it off, since there's no option in the bios, so I couldn't test my theory.

P.S. No overclocking has been done to the system, when I bought h50i I had the intentions for the cpu to run without thermal throttling.

Solution
Windows make a hardware request and sets up watchdog timer to catch hardware that fails to respond in a timely manner. 2 seconds for video, 30 seconds for other hardware. Most often these are driver or firmware bugs. In general you want to update the bios, then install the current motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors web site. Make sure you update the network drivers and sound drivers. They can cause timeouts on your video driver and are not updated by Microsoft update. There are other causes of this error also but I have to go, wife is giving the evil eye.

gime114

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017

I don't think the error reffers to the game "Watchdogs", because I don't even have it on my computer. So unless you're referring to something that is part of windows, it's not it. And yes windows has all the latest updates.

Windows make a hardware request and sets up watchdog timer to catch hardware that fails to respond in a timely manner. 2 seconds for video, 30 seconds for other hardware. Most often these are driver or firmware bugs. In general you want to update the bios, then install the current motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors web site. Make sure you update the network drivers and sound drivers. They can cause timeouts on your video driver and are not updated by Microsoft update. There are other causes of this error also but I have to go, wife is giving the evil eye.

Solution

Aranaz

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Some time ago I also encountered the problem .. but i have found the solution .. before i used win10 enterprise but every few minutes i experience freeze or bsod .. i am almost frustrated .. i am looking for such problems starting from hardware, i think there is Hadware is broken but my hardware is all new..it turns out the problem is on windows .. and when i change from enterprise to pro .. the problem is solved ...

There are thousands of different bugcheck each with their own code and error codes.
Most bugchecks are going to be caused by old drivers, BIOS, overclocking. I think about less than 5% of the time it is the actual hardware. Generally, if you upgrade a windows system old drivers are migrated to the new system.
if you change from a enterprise version to any other version of windows the drivers would not be migrated and the problem goes away. It is not the version of windows that fixed the problem, it is the fact that a clean install was done and no old drivers were migrated.

Aranaz

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I understand what you mean .. I've also upgraded the bios, all the drivers, replacing the new hardware .. but the problem is still there .. until I decided to replace the new windows .. this is my own personal experience. And succeed ..

yes, it would work
but why it worked is important.

Frank Walsh

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
Was getting new PC built in local shop, couldn't get win10 to load - clock_watchdog_timeout windows 10 - software guy at the shop said he'd try Bios and other driver updated. I am no software or even hardware expert, what he said to me was he disabled all cores on the processsor bar 1, and that allowed him to put in Win 10 and then he enabled the disabled core and load other drivers and it worked. By disabled, I don't know if he turned them off or stopped "hyperthreading" but it worked.

Corsair Graphite 760t Windowed Full Tower Gaming Case
MSI AMD X370 GAMING PRO CARBON AM4 ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core AM4 CPU/Processor
Cooler Master Masterair Maker 8 High Performance Air Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SATAIII 2.5" SSD
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X PLUS 11Gbps Graphics Card

What he did worked fror my rig

chez2212

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

Omg, I have to laugh at this one, you my friend, should not be offering computer advice.

th3p00r

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016

i know right.