[SOLVED] Win 10 Pro activation

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
I am using a valid digital license for my Win 10- Pro but MS won't update to ver 2004 because it's telling me that Windows "failed to validate product key" (even though it is legal)
IF I BUY A REAL VALID LICENSE KEY AND GO INTO MY SETTINGS AND USE THE KEY TO "CHANGE PRODUCT KEY", will MS then notice that this new product key is legal and then continue on to update to ver 2004? If so, then it's that simple. Buy a legit key, activate this key and carry on to the update to ver 2004. Yes or no? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Last edited:
Solution
In response to Wolfshade, I already wrote that my current version of Win 10 Pro 1909 is valid and has been valid since I purchase Windows 7 and kept automatically updating via the Windows updates. It is an activated digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Never in all the years that I have run Windows 95, to Windows 7 (never did Win 8) and Win 10, has there ever been an issue of any kind with any updates, and that's a <Mod Edit> of updates with no problems. I guess this is why Microsoft can't figure it out and why there is no fix for this.

It was just a question for clarification and like you, I am confused as to why the update would fail with an invalid license error if it's currently active. I don't know that...

Wolfshadw

Titan
I just recently (this weekend) got the notification that my current Windows version (1909) was out of date and that I should upgrade to the latest (2004). Since 2004 has been out, I've performed several updates, but never to 2004 until this weekend. The update went without a hitch.

Open File Explorer.
Right-Click on This PC and select Properties
Does it currently say that Windows is activated?

-Wolf sends

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
What is this reputable site you purchased from?
[/QU
What is this reputable site you purchased from?
In reply to DSzymborski, If you are referring to me and my problem with Win 10 Pro activation, first of all, it's now 3:30 pm Monday. My question was posted a couple of hours ago, around 12:30-1:00 pm.,so I don't know why the post is showing as being posted at 6:00 pm. In response to your question, I did not indicate that I am having a problem with any purchase of Win 10 Pro. I said that Microsoft will not update my ver 1909 to ver 2004. My only reference to any purchase was my query. I was asking about purchasing a valid key, and if I applied that "changed product key" in my settings, would MS then show my Win 10 Pro as valid when it reached that installation point.

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
I just recently (this weekend) got the notification that my current Windows version (1909) was out of date and that I should upgrade to the latest (2004). Since 2004 has been out, I've performed several updates, but never to 2004 until this weekend. The update went without a hitch.

Open File Explorer.
Right-Click on This PC and select Properties
Does it currently say that Windows is activated?

-Wolf sends
In response to Wolfshade, I already wrote that my current version of Win 10 Pro 1909 is valid and has been valid since I purchase Windows 7 and kept automatically updating via the Windows updates. It is an activated digital license linked to my Microsoft account. Never in all the years that I have run Windows 95, to Windows 7 (never did Win 8) and Win 10, has there ever been an issue of any kind with any updates, and that's a <Mod Edit> of updates with no problems. I guess this is why Microsoft can't figure it out and why there is no fix for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfshadw

Titan

It was just a question for clarification and like you, I am confused as to why the update would fail with an invalid license error if it's currently active. I don't know that there is any reason to rush to version 2004. As I stated, I've only received this update this past weekend (after several updates since 2004's release). Looking at what's included in the update, I don't see anything earth-shattering,

In answer to your question, though, No. You should not need to purchase a new Windows 10 Pro license in order to update to version 2004, I would recommend just waiting until your PC notifies you that the update is available for you.

-Wolf sends

Solution

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
It was just a question for clarification and like you, I am confused as to why the update would fail with an invalid license error if it's currently active. I don't know that there is any reason to rush to version 2004. As I stated, I've only received this update this past weekend (after several updates since 2004's release). Looking at what's included in the update, I don't see anything earth-shattering,

In answer to your question, though, No. You should not need to purchase a new Windows 10 Pro license in order to update to version 2004, I would recommend just waiting until your PC notifies you that the update is available for you.

-Wolf sends
Hey Wolfshade. I don't know why the update to ver 2004 stopped and gave me that "failed to validate product key" notice. I am in agreeance with you in not being in a hurry to upgrade, and that's why I have been not rushing it for 3 months. As the old adage goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Crap, even MS technicians couldn't figure it out. The last guy guaranteed that the upgrade through the MS assistant would work. As a matter of fact, he didn't believe me when I told him that I received the notice of not being a valid license because he's never heard of it happening. And he didn't hang around long enough to see it. So how much does he really know?
As to your second part, I didn't ask if I should need to purchase a new license in order to update; sorry if I gave that impression. I want to know, if I did purchase a legal license, for a Removed-load of coin via MS or through scdkeys on the cheap, I wanted to know if that new key would supercede my current digital license and allow me to upgrade if I choose to do so. As I stated, when Windows was almost finished updating, it stopped and then told me that my key wasn't valid. I am now curious to know if that update would continue to ver 2004, because I would have the new legal license, or would it stop again.
It seems to me that if the new license would be validated by the MS installation of ver 2004, then it's easy to do. Go to scdkeys and buy a legal license for $20-ish and done.
Thanks for the reply Wolf, I apprecaite it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it anyway. As you intimated, there's pretty well not too Removed much for me to see. As Obi-wan Kenobi told the Imperial forces.." MSoft doesn't need to see my identification..these aren't the droids you're looking for... move along". And I shall move along as well. c ya

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
In reply to DSzymborski, If you are referring to me and my problem with Win 10 Pro activation, first of all, it's now 3:30 pm Monday. My question was posted a couple of hours ago, around 12:30-1:00 pm.,so I don't know why the post is showing as being posted at 6:00 pm. In response to your question, I did not indicate that I am having a problem with any purchase of Win 10 Pro. I said that Microsoft will not update my ver 1909 to ver 2004. My only reference to any purchase was my query. I was asking about purchasing a valid key, and if I applied that "changed product key" in my settings, would MS then show my Win 10 Pro as valid when it reached that installation point.

If you won't answer direct questions posed to you about your issue, then I can't help.