Question Win 10 pro crashes on install w/internet connected

Dec 19, 2021
I have browsed this topic here and still not figured out.
I am not a computer professional but did build my first PC 6 years ago.

I can only do a "limited" install (w/o internet). Once I connect to internet, crashes shortly thereafter. When I try a full install connected to internet, it crashes (black screen) at the point of entering my PIN. I have purchased a Win 10 Pro Key and got to the point of activation (limited install) and once the activation, crash. Black screen. Then I have to clean the HD (diskpart-list disk-select disk-clean ) to do another fresh install. The limited install of windows will not boot directly, I have to boot in BIOS.
My built system crashed so I replaced all but GPU, cooler & power.

(brand new)
Asus Z590-P Motherboard
Intel i9 12th gen
Crucial Ballistic 2x32GB
WD Blue 4TB SSD HD

(from orig system)
Geforce GTX 1070 FE
Corsair H100i V2 Cooler
EVGA 850W

What I have done:
Updated Asus BIOS
3 Microsoft Tech chats - one tech said my Ethernet adapter was faulty so I sent MB back and got a new one (same make model) Did not help, same issue
Asus support - 6 sessions - said needed new HD, then needed new ram. (purchased all above) Then said software issue.

Now:
Default BIOS settings
Windows (limited install) installed

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the crashes.

Start with Reliability History: Much more user friendly and the timeline format may reveal some pattern.

Also try booting into Safe Mode. Then try connecting to the internet. Again look for errors if the system crashes.

Run "ipconfig /all" ( without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Dec 19, 2021
The problem is I have to clean the HD after each crash. Will no longer boot. So I don't know how it will have a history. It will not boot in safe mode. I activated with my Key, while Microsoft Tech was helping but it crashed, then would no longer recognize my activation. Said already activated to another device. But Its the same device.
When I Run ipconfig/all it asks me to connect to internet. If you would like me to connect to try, I will.
Also, I ran a diagnostic on my ethernet adapter. It said something like ip address was not configured, and it fixed... Then it crashed. All crashes are black screen.

Reliability - No reports

Event Viewer - Summary
Errors
Event ID Source

2 Kernel-EventTracing
16 SecurityCenter
36 AppModel-Runtime
86 CertificateServicesClient-CertEnroll
257 CAP12
5044 AppReadiness
7023 Service Control Manager
7030 Service Control Manager
8198 Security-SSP
10005 DistributedCOM

Warnings

100 ModernDeployment-Diagnostics-Provider
134 Time-Service
158 disk
165 ModernDeployment-Diagnostics-Provider
200 DeviceSetupManager
201 DeviceSetupManager
202 DeviceSetupManager
360 User Device Registration
1008 Search
10016 DistributedCOM

dwd999

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
First, is your hdd identified as a gpt device? That's all that needed as far as the disk goes. If you're not sure, download a Linux live image, burn to usb and boot from that. Use the gparted app to check that there is nothing on the disk, its totally unallocated, other than the gpt identifier.

Second, you should be able to totally complete the install process without either internet or a product key. I've been preparing for a new years day complete reinstall and have practiced the whole process. (I file off my current installation using an Acronis image then restore it when done). You do not need either internet or a product key to complete the installation. (In my case, the installer doesn't recognize the Intel I225-V chip so I have to complete the process using the limited install, then add a driver for either wifi or I225-V.) If you can't complete your install then your install image would be suspect and you may want to create a fresh one.

If you manage to complete the limited install, then open up the Device Manager and identify any devices that are not operational and need to have drivers added. You may need the Serial IO drivers and the Chipset drivers among others.

There's no rush to enter your product key and plenty of time to get everything working before dealing with the activation issue.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021
Thank you,

Yes, I converted the HD to GPT. It is totally unallocated. In command prompt (Shft F10) I did the following after each crash - (diskpart-list disk-select disk-clean )
I downloaded the Microsoft Creation Tool and put it on an 64GB SD card formatted NTFS. I have also tried another CF Card and get same results. I'm assuming any cleaned media with a USB3 adapter will work just like a stand alone "jump drive"?
During the install process (w/o internet connected) it only gives me 2 options, lower left continue with "limited install" and lower right says "connect now".

I was just able to boot in safe mode. F8 did not work, so I did "msconfig - boot - safe. Restarted - it went straight to BIOS- booted from drive/boot key -- It then booted in Safe Mode
I have connected to internet and so far not crashed.
I am now looking for device errors or driver updates.

Any thoughts on what to specifically look for here?

Dec 19, 2021
I found an error in System Devices

Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization Infrastructure Driver
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Is it safe to try and update this driver?

dwd999

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
It should be safe to update any driver using the Device Manager Update Driver function. If there's anything still not working then you'll have to try either the ASUS website or if its an Intel chip the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Dec 19, 2021
Thank you SkyNetRising! You are the first person to comment on the graphics card. (In 3 weeks of troubleshooting!!)

I have Intel i9 12th Gen.

I just checked the "Other Devices" in Device Manager and all PCI devices have (!) Windows could not find any drivers. I have Geforce GTX 1070 FE and NVIDIA has deleted my account due to "inactivity". I cant even download the drivers. I will try and contact NVIDIA. I hope its a driver issue and not the card...

Thank you all! Since I joined this group, I have gotten more helpful info than Microsoft and Asus combined!

I will update what I find...

Dec 19, 2021
I've been using my computer with HDMI plugged into IO-HDMI on Motherboard until card arrived. i9 had integrated graphics.

OK, I've installed my new Graphic card. (Quick 308 Radeon RX 6600 XT) Downloaded and updated driver
Plugged in HDMI on card
Boot went to BIOS F1
F8 - Boot from Win Boot Manager (WDC SSD HD)
ASUS screen spinning dots
Black Screen - No Windows

Now what??

Rest of build: (ALL NEW except cooler and power)
Asus Prime Z590-P
Intel i9
Corsair H100i V2 Cooler
Corsair Ballistic 2x32GB (slots 2&4)
WD Blue 4TB SSD HD
Supernova 850 G2 power
Asus 28" HIL Monitor

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts