Win 10 Pro Creators will not connect to external hard drive

JK-007

Prominent
May 30, 2017
I'm looking for help with an Win 10 Pro issue that I've started having. I tried to connect two different Seagate external hard drives (newere USB 3.0 drives so they try to use UASPSTOR and show up as SCSI not USB) to a Dell XPS 435T/9000 desktop and HP dv6T laptop, both of which have Win 10 Pro Creators without success. The drive does not show up in Disk Management but appears in the Device Manager with a yellow caution triangle (Properties says "No drivers are installed for this device. " but no error codes are given). Windows won't reinstall the driver (says most current is already installed), and if I try to uninstall the drives or the associated Storage Controllers the process runs indefinitely bu never finishes. With the drive connected neither machine will shut down properly - process runs for 5-10 min then device has a BSOD and auto-restarts.

I have already tried every USB port on both computers (1.1, 2.0 and 3.0), multiple cables, attached via both a direct connection and a hub, and searched both Microsoft's Forums and Google without success.

The only work-around I've found for is to disable the device in Device Manager (the dialog box never closes but I kill the process via Task Manager after about 1 min) > unplug drive > restart with BSOD > boot > plug in drive > enable in Device Manager. With that trick the drives work perfectly normally for exactly that 1 boot. Once the machine is shutoff or restarted the problem returns.

I've tried the drives on a (slightly) newer Yogabook 11s running Win 10 (not Pro) Anniversary. Both drives work fine with whatever cables I choose when plugged into that Lenovo.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

JK-007

Prominent
May 30, 2017

I appreciate the effort but I've already tried that without success. Unfortunately I cannot Delete or Uninstall the drive in the Device Manager while it is connected, because when I try to do so the process starts but it never finishes. I've tried uninstalling / deleting the drive as a Ghost Device when it is not connected. When I do that Device Manager successfully removes the device, but my original problem recurs as soon as the drive is reconnected.

Thank you for trying to help.

TRENDING THREADS