[SOLVED] Win 10 Pro not following default app

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I have Win 10 Pro, version 1909, OS build 18363.270.

I use Adobe Creative Suite 6, which includes Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I also have Adobe Reader DC installed because I occasionally need to deactivate CS 6 on this desktop and activate it on my laptop when I travel. I've been doing this for many years in Win 7.

My default app to open pdfs is set as Acrobat X. But in File Explorer there's a dropdown menu for pdfs and Reader is shown first. Unless I select Acrobat X each time I open a pdf, it opens in Reader.

Is there a workaround for this? Any way to make Acrobat X the first choice?

Solution
No, I haven't. I know that would solve the basic problem, but it would create another one: No way to read pdfs when Acrobat X is deactivated. I've got at least 6 programs that can open .jpgs. I set Windows Photo Viewer as the default and they always open in that. The same should apply here, right?
Typically that should work. There are other programs that can open pdfs though. I know that the original default was a program in Windows called Reader or Edge can do it as well.
I have Win 10 Pro, version 1909, OS build 18363.270.

I use Adobe Creative Suite 6, which includes Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I also have Adobe Reader DC installed because I occasionally need to deactivate CS 6 on this desktop and activate it on my laptop when I travel. I've been doing this for many years in Win 7.

My default app to open pdfs is set as Acrobat X. But in File Explorer there's a dropdown menu for pdfs and Reader is shown first. Unless I select Acrobat X each time I open a pdf, it opens in Reader.

Is there a workaround for this? Any way to make Acrobat X the first choice?
You need to make the default app Acrobat X in Settings > Apps > Default Apps. Once in there click on Choose Default Apps By File Type to set Acrobat X permanently for pdfs.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
No, I haven't. I know that would solve the basic problem, but it would create another one: No way to read pdfs when Acrobat X is deactivated. I've got at least 6 programs that can open .jpgs. I set Windows Photo Viewer as the default and they always open in that. The same should apply here, right?

Typically that should work. There are other programs that can open pdfs though. I know that the original default was a program in Windows called Reader or Edge can do it as well.

Solution