[SOLVED] Win 10 Pro programs slow to open after motherboard swap

Aug 8, 2021
I recently swapped my Strix X299 & 7820X for a Strix Z590 & 11900K. I usually do a full reinstall, but this can take 2 weeks with the vast amount of items of have, so I’m trying to avoid that. Before swapping the board I cloned the main drive twice, incase of issues, then on one drive I uninstalled all motherboard and graphics drivers. After swapping the board and CPU I installed the new motherboard and graphics drivers and the system boots and works without issues.

However, some programs can take 1-2mins to open when I click on them. For example, chrome takes 1-2mins, yet edge opens straight away. If a program opens an explorer window to locate a file, that can then take 1-2mins to open. But once a program opens, it runs fine.

Now this issue only happens about a minute after I’ve logged into windows. If I open chrome or other programs that are slow to open, they open straight away and without issues, but about a minute of being logged in the problem occurs. It seems that windows is still loading items in the background and one of those is causing this issue to happen.

Anyone ever had anything like those or know how I can see what’s loading and causing this issue?

Any help/advice appreciated
Thanks Mat

you are experiencing incompatible driver issues within Windows.
all of your previous motherboard and other system drivers are still loaded within the OS.

this is a big change in devices and Windows does not automatically alter all if it's data to reflect a new motherboard and the differences.
you need to perform a fresh OS install along with the latest motherboard drivers from the manufacturer.

Aug 8, 2021
So even though I uninstalled all previous motherboard drivers prior to the swap and installed the new ones after the swap, the old ones are still in Windows?

Seems strange that my system runs perfectly well, but just a handful of random programs are having this slow to open issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: birests
Solution
Aug 8, 2021
Thanks for the replies. I did think the advice would be a reinstall, but I currently can't afford a 2 week downtime to reinstall several hundred items. As it's only a handful of programs that are slow to open and work without issue when loaded, I'll just have to live with it for now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I assume the drives the files are on aren't hdd, as a defrag could help. Its not going to help on ssd/nvme

if most of applications are games, if they are steam and not on C drive, they can be reused without reloading them. Same applies to a few other game services I think. If they on another hdd you just point the steam client at the folders and it will find the games again.

Aug 8, 2021
I assume the drives the files are on aren't hdd, as a defrag could help. Its not going to help on ssd/nvme

if most of applications are games, if they are steam and not on C drive, they can be reused without reloading them. Same applies to a few other game services I think. If they on another hdd you just point the steam client at the folders and it will find the games again.

Windows is on an M.2 nvme and all my other items are shared across 10tb of SSDs. Some things I can simply link to windows, majority will require an install though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are lucky its just some things, you essentially have a new PC and the only problems you experiencing is a little slow down. Are the files that are slow on any particular drive or you haven't noticed a pattern?

You could download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

Just curious if I can find a driver that might be to blame.

Aug 8, 2021
My computer is split between gaming and work. I have several flightsims and other games installed, and then the rest is document creation, photo & video editing.

I've not noticed any pattern in the programs. Chrome browser, windows media player open slow, but office 365 and edge run normally. X-Plane 11 is on a separate SSD and opens slower, but Prepar3d which is also on a separate SSD opens normally.

I'll have a look at the driver list and post it once I'm home later today.

Many thanks

Aug 8, 2021
You are lucky its just some things, you essentially have a new PC and the only problems you experiencing is a little slow down. Are the files that are slow on any particular drive or you haven't noticed a pattern?

You could download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

Just curious if I can find a driver that might be to blame.

https://ibb.co/YpVpZ8C

This is the driver list in date order

Colif

Win 11 Master
could be a clash of 2 Asus drivers

old Asus boards have asIO.sys as a driver (18 Now 2016)
newer ones have a newer version asIO2.sys (25 May 2020)
there is an asIO3.sys as well but you don't have that one. Enough already Asus.
some have both which makes it hard.

You have both and I can't tell easily as its not a driver that comes with particular software, its a driver almost every ASUS motherboard gets one of. The dates in brackets are driver dates, they aren't helpful either as there is a newer version of asIO.sys (the one I normally see on old boards is from 2012). Windows will even install driver as soon as you connect PC after a clean install. Its used to change hardware values, can come with AI Suite but also by itself.

I don't know if it has much to do with ssd though.

Do you use EaseUS todo backup? just thinking, its drive related
folder lock... just identifying unknowns

I don't see anything that stands out expect the Asus files maybe.

Aug 8, 2021
could be a clash of 2 Asus drivers

old Asus boards have asIO.sys as a driver (18 Now 2016)
newer ones have a newer version asIO2.sys (25 May 2020)
there is an asIO3.sys as well but you don't have that one. Enough already Asus.
some have both which makes it hard.

You have both and I can't tell easily as its not a driver that comes with particular software, its a driver almost every ASUS motherboard gets one of. The dates in brackets are driver dates, they aren't helpful either as there is a newer version of asIO.sys (the one I normally see on old boards is from 2012). Windows will even install driver as soon as you connect PC after a clean install. Its used to change hardware values, can come with AI Suite but also by itself.

I don't know if it has much to do with ssd though.

Do you use EaseUS todo backup? just thinking, its drive related
folder lock... just identifying unknowns

I don't see anything that stands out expect the Asus files maybe.

Well I’ve solved it. Using that driver list I decided to go through them, uninstall, clean and reinstall. I checked each time I reinstalled, until I got to some intel drivers. There is an intel optane driver, which I was unable to uninstall, but I could disable. So I did this and the problem went away. Not sure if that driver itself was the issue, or whether it was conflicting with something else. I’ve spent a couple of days checking programs and making sure nothing else is affected with that driver being disabled, but all seems ok.

So thank you very much for your advice and time, it saved me a lot of hassle and the prospect of an unnecessary reinstall!

Reactions: Colif