[SOLVED] Win 10 Pro Upgrade and Re-use Win 10 Home

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
First off - I'm talking about full retail versions of Windows 10.

I have my 'old' PC which has Windows 10 Home (retail), Office (2013 full purchase) and a bunch of other licensed apps installed on it.

I purchased a retail version of Win 10 Pro and want to install it on my 'old' PC as-is for the time being.

I'm building a new PC and intend to re-use the Windows 10 on my 'new' PC since my 'old' PC license was replaced with the Win 10 Pro version.

I'll eventually use my 'old' PC remotely via Remote Desktop but for now I'll keep them side-by-side so I can transfer all my apps to the 'new' PC.

What I've done with Office previously is to move all of the documents (spreadsheets, Word docs, MS Access databases, etc.) to the new machine, then uninstall Office on the 'old' machine and use my media to install on the 'new' PC.

I think this should work - looking for input/validation from the experts here...TIA!!!

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
So I'm halfway done - I upgraded my 'old' PC from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro. Just went into setting and changed product key and 15 minutes later it was on Win 10 Pro with everything intact.

My new PC is still in MOBO state outside the case but I've updated the BIOS and enabled XMP. Next step will be to put it in the case, connect peripherals and install Win 10 Home....