krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I just upgraded my win 7 pro to win 10 pro on a box with
mobo Gigabyte z170- hd3,
64 gb ram
I5-6500 processor,
WD 750 GB Black label

This system was running perfectly with win 7 pro, but since upgrading to win10 pro it has an issue. It boots fine and runs for a 5,10, even 15 minutes then reboots itself. I can be typing or moving the mouse pointer or pressing the pointer to select something and it reboots. No particular pattern to the rebooting, it just shuts off and reboots.

Trouble shooter doesn't find anything and Comodo, Trendmicro or Malwarebytes doesn't find any malware.

I need guidance.

Thanks Ken

Solution
did you see if newer drivers on the gigabyte site? Win 10 will have a package of drivers for motherboard but they not always the latest. This could fix both issues.

Seems win 10 has issues just with the basic mice drivers. Another advantage to using a gaming mouse, avoid Microsoft mice drivers that way.

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Read an article on this problem, seems MS has a cumulative patch KB3081424 that causes this problem of rebooting on some machines. Cnet contacted microsoft about it, but got no response from them.
The intel 530 graphics drivers that come with the Gigabyte Z170-HD3 mobo also has some issues. I've noticed MS has tried to re-install an upgraded driver provided by intel but after 10 times on my cpu this upgraded driver fails installation.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you see if newer drivers on the gigabyte site? Win 10 will have a package of drivers for motherboard but they not always the latest. This could fix both issues.

Seems win 10 has issues just with the basic mice drivers. Another advantage to using a gaming mouse, avoid Microsoft mice drivers that way.

Solution

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I went to Intel got new drivers from them. It appears that it has corrected the problems. When I first started see this problem I thought it was overheating. After some thought, I decided it couldn't be overheating with five internal fans, in a room that is 72 degrees. I checked the case and cpu internal temps the next time it rebooted and the cpu was 36C and inside the case was 34C.

That is when I went straight to Intel.

I already had 5 systems upgraded, three with the same memory and mobo's... none of the others had problems like this. I really don't think MS was ready for the rush they saw with yesterdays deadline.

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
It seems I spoke to soon about the reboot prob being fixed. Fifteen minutes after my above post it decided to reboot again. I guess that was an in your face reboot.

I'm going to Gigabyte for drivers now.

TRENDING THREADS