[SOLVED] Win 10 reinstalled, now no soundcard recognised in PCI slots

Peacelord2002

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Hi there,
Reinstalled Windows 10 on my pc and fitted a new sata hdd for extra storage. Now, no PCI installed soundcards are recognised; they don't even appear in device manager, despite buying a second card to try just to be sure. The Realtek HD onboard audio works so I can listen through headphones on the front jack, and it attempts to use USB outputs, but nothing in those PCI slots, and I tried 2 different ones. It just doesn't recognise anything is plugged in. Downloaded the latest drivers for the chipset, didn't change anything. Any ideas?

Intel i5 6400
Mobo is ASUS H170 Pro
16gb DDR4
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb

Thanks in advance if you can help! My boys can't enjoy watching me play World of Tanks with all the 5.1 surround of booming artillery now!

Solution
i need green, yellow and black channel outputs for my setup, which I'm fairly sure is 5.1 (two fronts, two rear, centre and sub), but there are not 3 sound outputs anywhere on this chassis (there's the green and pink mic on the back panel and a green and pink front) so I'm still convinced i need the discrete board for the surround sound.
There should be blue, green and pink connectors on back i/o panel.

Light Blue (Rear panel) - Rear Speaker Out
Lime (Rear panel) - Front Speaker Out
Pink (Rear panel) - Bass/Center

asus-h170-pro-usb31-left-large.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model sound card?

In Device Manager > View is "Show hidden devices" checked?

= = = =

This motherboard?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb..._WEB.pdf?_ga=1.12239476.1701346628.1483027759

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

Double check the installation/connection of the new sata hdd via User Manual Pages 1-18,1-19, and 1-20.

Also check all other connections just in case something else came loose during the installation.

Peacelord2002

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Thank you!

Show hidden devices is checked yep.

Yes it's that mobo. Installation of SATA appears to all be correct.

Can't see anything else loose or incorrect.

Soundcard is this one! No manual came with it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TZF5J8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Previous one that also stopped being detected I don't have details for (i replaced that one for this one because thought it might be defunct but then this one presented exact same situation).

Peacelord2002

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Your motherboard supports 5.1 sound output.
No need for discrete soundcard for this.
Read user manual of your motherboard.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/H170-PRO/E12046_H170-PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
(page 1-14)

It has support for 8 channel, but needs a chassis that has the outputs for that....mine doesn't, hence having a discrete board for the surround sound connections. It still doesn't explain why it worked perfectly for years and after reinstalling Windows there's now no recognition even of the PCI soundcards I've tried using.

Peacelord2002

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
For 5.1 mode only rear panel outputs are used.
Do you need 7.1 mode?

Hmm, i might be being thick here....i need green, yellow and black channel outputs for my setup, which I'm fairly sure is 5.1 (two fronts, two rear, centre and sub), but there are not 3 sound outputs anywhere on this chassis (there's the green and pink mic on the back panel and a green and pink front) so I'm still convinced i need the discrete board for the surround sound. That's how it was configured at setup when I purchased it.

i need green, yellow and black channel outputs for my setup, which I'm fairly sure is 5.1 (two fronts, two rear, centre and sub), but there are not 3 sound outputs anywhere on this chassis (there's the green and pink mic on the back panel and a green and pink front) so I'm still convinced i need the discrete board for the surround sound.
There should be blue, green and pink connectors on back i/o panel.

Light Blue (Rear panel) - Rear Speaker Out
Lime (Rear panel) - Front Speaker Out
Pink (Rear panel) - Bass/Center

asus-h170-pro-usb31-left-large.jpg

Solution

Peacelord2002

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
LEGENDS! That does work! I was thinking it was headphone and mic ports! Still doesnt explain why it's not recognising my soundcards in the pci slots, but that actually doesn't matter now! THANKS ALL!