[SOLVED] win 10 restart won't work after processor swap

RaulAlex

Reputable
May 2, 2017
Hello everyone,

Could you please help me with advice/thoughts on my current issue?

Short post:
I upgraded my processor to a better one and after I restart the OS, the computer will not post/windows will not boot up. However, the computer starts and behaves just fine after shut-down.

Long post:
I upgraded an old amd phenom ii x4 9950 CPU to a bit newer one, namely amd phenom ii x4 970. Both of them are nearly 10 years old and share the same socket. Everything went fine after the change, except that when I do an OS restart the computer will not even post. The video card and CPU fans will start spinning, but the keyboard and mouse get no power, or at least none of their LEDs lights up. The PC will not post after I pressed the physical reset button either. However, if I properly shut down the computer and power it back on, the PC will post and Windows will boot up properly. The same happens if I forcefully shut off the computer (holding the power button for 5 sec or simply unplug the system).

When I seat in the old CPU, everything works just fine. The restart is working fine. But right as I put back in the phenom 970, the problem occurs.

What I have checked so far:
  • CMOS clear
  • unplugged and plugged back in securely every cable/hardware (incl. ram and HDD)
  • the PCU is a 550W brand new one. I also tried to disconnect a hard drive (letting on just the SSD with the OS on it) to cut off from the power consumption
  • uninstalled and reinstalled the proper drivers
  • tried with a different video card
  • loaded BIOS' default settings (although CMOS clear should've done it too)
  • have installed the latest BIOS version
  • processor pins are all straight
  • made sure that both the BIOS and the OS recognize the new CPU properly (name of CPU shows up correctly)
  • checked all the power management settings and everything is set up to best performance
  • cool and quiet is disabled

I should mention that the new processor is not on the list of compatible CPUs supported by the Mobo. The best processor officially supported by the MoBo is AMD phenom ii x4 965, while the one that I am trying to use is the next released one, namely the AMD phenom ii x4 970. They both share the same structure and instructions and all that, except for the frequency. The 965 runs at 3.4 Ghz, while the 970 runs at 3.5 Ghz.

The mobo is ASRock ALiveXFire-eSATA2
8GB DDR 2

I think I will also try with an OS reset or reinstall, but before that, I wanted to see if I could get any advice from you.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance for any idea.
Raul

Solution
Sounds like it's something with the way the OS is shutting it down with the new cpu.

This won't be conclusive, but see if you can boot up a linux live cd/usb and then restart from that (try a couple of different ones too). If you can get it to successfully and consistently restart with even one live cd/usb, then it's not a hardware issue and we can try to figure out the software issue.

RaulAlex

Reputable
May 2, 2017
Yes, most certainly. I just hoped there could still be a fix for it since the CPU works fine except for the restart thing.
And yes, I have the latest bios on it.

Sounds like it's something with the way the OS is shutting it down with the new cpu.

This won't be conclusive, but see if you can boot up a linux live cd/usb and then restart from that (try a couple of different ones too). If you can get it to successfully and consistently restart with even one live cd/usb, then it's not a hardware issue and we can try to figure out the software issue.

Reactions: RaulAlex
Solution

RaulAlex

Reputable
May 2, 2017
Well, meantime I managed to have my PC do the restart as it should after I re-enabled and then disabled again the cool & quiet option. Crazy PC.

However, now I bumped into another issue. I can't seem to put the PC into sleep mode properly. It actually went into that state, but the fans kept spinning. Moreover, the PC wouldn't come out of the sleep mode whatever key I pressed on the keyboard/click I do from the mouse. So I switched the "suspend to ram" option in bios from "automatic" to "off". Now the difference is that I can finally get the PC to fall asleep, the PSU/gpu/cpu fans stop spinning, but when I try to wake it up from either the keyboard or mouse, only the fans start spinning, while the screen is black as if there was no input from the video card. There is a little led on my display which lights up yellowish, as if in standby/PC is shut off, instead of green.

I am trying to figure this out now.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers.
If you still have some ideas about my latest issue, please share it with me. Any thought is welcome.
Thanks again.

RaulAlex

Reputable
May 2, 2017
Ok, after some more unsuccessful work-around this last issue, I decided to give "hibernation" a try and this option worked. The system doesn't start as fast as after being in sleep mode, but at least it is a way to put tasks on hold without shutting off the PC, which it's not that bad after all.