[SOLVED] win 10 sleep mode problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentass

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
I purchased a new ssd for an old computer in which i put a clean win 10 install. every time i tried to boot it would get stuck on the logo screen and i had to reset once for it to work. disabling fast boot seems to have resolved this. however, whenever I put the computer to sleep when i try to turn it back on it never posts and i have to restart. after restarting it posts but gets stuck on the windows logo and I have to reset once more. Furthermore, my ssd power on count smart value goes up by 2 instead of 1 every time I turn the computer on.
What could be the cause for all this?

Solution
I purchased a new ssd for an old computer in which i put a clean win 10 install. every time i tried to boot it would get stuck on the logo screen and i had to reset once for it to work. disabling fast boot seems to have resolved this. however, whenever I put the computer to sleep when i try to turn it back on it never posts and i have to restart. after restarting it posts but gets stuck on the windows logo and I have to reset once more. Furthermore, my ssd power on count smart value goes up by 2 instead of 1 every time I turn the computer on.
old computers that were made before windows 8.1 often had bugs in the BIOS and did not have the sleep functions set correctly
generally you would look...
old computers that were made before windows 8.1 often had bugs in the BIOS and did not have the sleep functions set correctly
generally you would look for a bios update or turn off the sleep functions that do not work correctly.
for example usb ports that go to sleep and prevent you from waking the computer.
first would be to update any bios to the most current version you can get. then see if windows will work with the generic drivers.
some laptops just will not work with the generic drivers and require the old custom drivers provided by the laptop vendor.
I would just disable the sleep function in this case. (just the sleep for that item of hardware)

Solution

kentass

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
generally you would look for a bios update or turn off the sleep functions that do not work correctly.
for example usb ports that go to sleep and prevent you from waking the computer.
first would be to update any bios to the most current version you can get. then see if windows will work with the generic drivers.
some laptops just will not work with the generic drivers and require the old custom drivers provided by the laptop vendor.
I would just disable the sleep function in this case. (just the sleep for that item of hardware)
I see. The current bios ver hardly supports win 10 so updating will most likely do he trick. Could that also be the cause for the ssd count going up by 2? I noticed it used to be an even number all this time, but after a recent attemptat fixing the sleep issue it become an odd number meaning somewhere along those resets it only went up by one.

kentass

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
I see. The current bios ver hardly supports win 10 so updating will most likely do he trick. Could that also be the cause for the ssd count going up by 2? I noticed it used to be an even number all this time, but after a recent attemptat fixing the sleep issue it become an odd number meaning somewhere along those resets it only went up by one.
updating the bios has fixed the problem for me

Status
Not open for further replies.