Question win 10 update adjusting bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please show me in the terms and agreement's that microsoft has laid out, where i gave them promition to adjust the settings on my system components. Last i checked the only thing i have windows "promition" to due is read what is in my tower. "So they can provide the right driver supports for me" ""and see how well the system runs" blah blah blah..... But no where do i remeber telling them they have the right to adjust system specs and all that.

I did a windows update after 4 months of my computer running just how i wanted it. Then all of a sudden turbo settings for cpu are enabled oc gone ram no longer set to speed now set to auto.
When did microsoft get the right to take control of "MY SYSTEMS"

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
windows update does not change BIOS settings, ever. For some reasons, your BIOS got reset and you should be looking for the reason it has, as this might indicate a hardware problem. Even if this happened roughly at a time you've got a Windows update, it is not related.

windows update does not change BIOS settings, ever. For some reasons, your BIOS got reset and you should be looking for the reason it has, as this might indicate a hardware problem. Even if this happened roughly at a time you've got a Windows update, it is not related.
It happened when the update was done i had just finished gaming windows notified me there was updates and before restarting and everything was still set, my cpu was oc'd to 4.4GHz ram ram speed's set to 3200MHz fan speeds full. computer restarted everything was reset cpu oc no longer solid cpu only turboing to 4.2GHz ram speeds 1600MHz fans auto speed i am tempted to uninstall the update and reinstall it to see if it happens again, however i don't think there's and thing wrong with the components nothing is giving a failure

It happened when the update was done i had just finished gaming windows notified me there was updates and before restarting and everything was still set, my cpu was oc'd to 4.4GHz ram ram speed's set to 3200MHz fan speeds full. computer restarted everything was reset cpu oc no longer solid cpu only turboing to 4.2GHz ram speeds 1600MHz fans auto speed i am tempted to uninstall the update and reinstall it to see if it happens again, however i don't think there's and thing wrong with the components nothing is giving a failure
and even after doing a uninstall and reinstall bios reset and yes im do windows updates not bios updates

USAFRet

Titan
Are you sure it was a Windows update?
My wife's Lenovo keeps prompting for a BIOS update. Which, if I allowed it, would reset the BIOS back to default settings.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
If you haven't done it yet, I would change back you setting in the BIOS as they were before and see if they remains there. If they do not revert back again, then it might just have been a hiccup and you can keep your fingers crossed that it remains that way. On the other hand, if after a while the BIOS resets again, then I would definitely look into it. Could be just the CMOS battery that needs to be replaced...

No how, no way does Windows mess with the BIOS. Unless you have installed some motherboard utility that allows BIOS access from inside Windows.

Think about it. In order for Windows to do what you are alleging it would have to know every BIOS (both UEFI and Non-UEFI) on every motherboard, both desktop and laptop, and all of the various low level interfaces with them (for those that allow such access) in order to do what you are claiming.

No how, no way does Windows mess with the BIOS. Unless you have installed some motherboard utility that allows BIOS access from inside Windows.

Think about it. In order for Windows to do what you are alleging it would have to know every BIOS (both UEFI and Non-UEFI) on every motherboard, both desktop and laptop, and all of the various low level interfaces with them (for those that allow such access) in order to do what you are claiming.
i understand this thats why i was asking is there any place i could have given windows permission to do so. because i don't remember doing so. however i do have asus grid (beta) installed.
and a asus b450-f gaming

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
i understand this thats why i was asking is there any place i could have given windows permission to do so. because i don't remember doing so. how i do have asus grid (beta) installed.
and a asus b450-f gaming
In all my windows dealings, going back to ancient history...I've never seen any type of permission or access for that.
Windows Updates do not speak to and alter the BIOS.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Status
Not open for further replies.