[SOLVED] Win 10 user. Possible replacement of motherboard and CPU ?

Super14730

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2014
What problems will I encounter when the time comes to replace my m/b, cpu with my current Win 10??

My build is 7 years old and still running great but in the event that I have a failure I would like to be prepared .

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Solution
If your windows is the oem version, activation may be tied to the motherboard.
Yes, a clean install is the stock answer.

But, if it is a nasty task to reinstall all you have now, I have been successful in a handful of upgrades by just booting with the old C drive and installing new motherboard drivers.
This has always been on an intel to intel upgrade.
I suspect that amd to intel or vice-versa might be more problematic.

But, if it is a nasty task to reinstall all you have now, I have been successful in a handful of upgrades by just booting with the old C drive and installing new motherboard drivers.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

Super14730

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2014

Good to know that it is possible and I'm thinking that I should stay with Intel as the upgrade path.
My windows is OEM and I'm willing to give it a try but as you said the clean install would be best but for all of the programs that I have very time consuming.

Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
Good to know that it is possible and I'm thinking that I should stay with Intel as the upgrade path.
My windows is OEM and I'm willing to give it a try but as you said the clean install would be best but for all of the programs that I have very time consuming.

Thanks again.
Changing a motherboard and using the old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3, in ALL combinations of Intel-Intel, AMD-AMD, Intel-AMD, whatever.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Please please prepare for total fail.
If it works, great. If it does NOT work...you're prepared.

The Windows license is a whole other consideration.