Question Win 10 Won't Boot After SSD Clean Install

xevilws6x

Honorable
Dec 20, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have an HP Pavilion Elite E9220y ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01859815 ) that is about 10 years old now. Originally had Windows 7 Home 64 bit, updated to Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I have upgraded the GPU and it's been great for my needs. Recently, my HDD started to have trouble booting, and the diagnostics pointed to the drive beginning to fail, so I purchased a Samsung 860 EVO SSD.

I set up a USB flash drive with the Windows Media Creation tool so I could do a clean install onto the SSD. However, it would fail the install every time due to "missing or corrupted files." I tried burning it to 2 different DVD's at different write speeds, 2 different thumb drives, even tried using the creation tool on another PC - it failed at different percentages of "Copying Files" every time during the install.

Next, I hooked the SSD up to a (newer) HP desktop we have int he house, and I booted the installation from the thumb drive on that PC. The installation finished in 5 minutes, and booted to desktop. Then, I plugged the SSD back into MY desktop, and it won't boot. The PC starts, shows the startup screen where I can load into the boot menu or BIOS, then gets stuck on a black screen with blinking cursor. I set the SSD to #1 boot priority, AHCI instead of RAID, tried using a different SATA port and cables, nothing works. I'm thinking my BIOS is too old or something. Just looked, and there's no BIOS updates for my machine.

I plugged it back into the newer machine just to confirm, and it booted right up. The newer machine has BIOS Version 2.10.1206 2011 MegaTrends (very different looking than mine).

My PC:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Model NY553AA-ABA e9220y
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 910 Processor, 2600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.02, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer FOXCONN

If any further info is needed, please ask.
Thank you in advance!

Jun 23, 2019
When you installed the operating system did you select the option to (Custom install (advanced) ) this lets you choose to install onto the ssd directly, if you have any other hard drivers in the system you can choose that one specifically . And when the install finishes on the ssd go back to the bios and switch the ssd to boot drive 1 instead of the usb.

xevilws6x

Honorable
Dec 20, 2017
When you installed the operating system did you select the option to (Custom install (advanced) ) this lets you choose to install onto the ssd directly, if you have any other hard drivers in the system you can choose that one specifically . And when the install finishes on the ssd go back to the bios and switch the ssd to boot drive 1 instead of the usb.

Yes, I installed it with only the SSD plugged in. Chose custom, and selected the only drive available (SSD).

On new pc you probably installed windows in UEFI mode, but your old pc supports legacy boot mode only.

Interesting - I did see that the newer PC had UEFI. Mine does not. So how do I remedy this, and why isn't my PC able to install it on it's own?

Thanks!

xevilws6x

Honorable
Dec 20, 2017
So I tried disabling UEFI (secure boot) on the other HP computer, and doing a clean install from the flash drive. It failed again. This led me to believe something was wrong with the drive I was using - can't explain why it didn't work from DVD though.

Anyway, I wiped an old 2.5" 500gb drive I had and used it as a usb drive (via a SATA to USB cable) and installed the media on that using the windows media creation tool. I went into BIOS and switched from RAID to AHCI. Booted from it, and installed to the SSD. This was on my (the older) PC, and it worked just fine.

Up and running now.

TRENDING THREADS