Question Win 10

pookshuman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
I upgraded from win 7 to win 10 today

How can I make Win 10 look like Windows 7? When I searched for this on google, it suggested downloading programs and I don't know how trustworthy they are.

Thanks

pookshuman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Why?
What is about the 'look' of Windows 10 vs 7 that makes you want to change it?

Personally, I look past the OS, and use applications.
Some people prefer chocolate to vanilla, some people prefer abstract art to realism .... I prefer the look of Windows 7 to 10

If anyone else knows how to get this done, please let me know

USAFRet

Titan
I've not, no.
As I alluded to...the OS is completely in the background for me. The 'look' of the OS does not matter much.

And my use really hasn't changed since mid Win 7. Most used applications pinned to the taskbar.
Works the same win Win 10 as it did in earlier versions.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Classic Shell has been around forever, but is no longer officially supported (though it is still functioning).

Start10 is a commercial product, still being actively supported, and the cost for what most home users are typically looking for is $4.99 (they also have a 30-day free trial).

Both Classic Shell and Start10 are reputable products.

I am, however, of the mind that putting on a shell to make any UI "look like" something else is a big mistake. It leaves you in the lurch when you have to use the native UI, and you will.

I have used neither, I have installed both for clients.

gardenman

Splendid
Open Shell is still in development. I use it and love it.
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7103-open-shell.html

Classic Shell taskbar skins work in Open Shell. XP Taskbar skin:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6089&sid=c7a379ec80fa614e4888a5fae789cc16
It may require some minor editing which can be done in paint to adjust for the size of your tray icons (notification area icons).

Then there are Windows Themes which may help. It depends on how far you want to take it. Once you get into themes and possibly other programs to help modify the look of Windows is also where people usually get mixed up in malware too, so be careful.

Edit: Oops, you are looking for Win7 taskbar, not XP. I'm sure they exist too in the same Classic Shell forums if you look. Some images are now missing because the forum isn't used anymore.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Open Shell's Github page is: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

This is the "definitive repository" and you can get to the latest builds via the release buttons at the bottom of the page.

While it is still supported, that support is "shaky" if you look at the history of the project. I have no doubt that Open Shell currently works, and is safe (it's open source for anyone to look at the code) but I am not sanguine that it will continue being supported into the indeterminate future.

TRENDING THREADS