Question win 11 cloning issue

Purp1esasquach

Commendable
Oct 5, 2020
hi internet people's, ok i got a new laptop and its win 11, and had a 512gb m.2 drive as c: and i got a 1tb one to replace it, i used easeUS to clone it, it cloned the drive with no error's after swapping the drives win 11 boots ok but most of the software is missing, and the recovery partition is also not working, according to win 11 the recovery partition is there but not recognised by win, but in the easeus software it show, im at a loss any one come accross this, or have a sulution see pic.

311266345_2671751226292660_6316023848952603890_n.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
At this point, i'd format the 1TB drive and do the OS drive clone again, but this time, with proper software;
  • If your 1TB SSD is Samsung, then use Samsung Data Migration Tool
  • If your 1TB SSD is anything else, then use Macrium Reflect

Btw, there is no pic in your topic to be seen.

Will the original drive still boot the machine when it is the only drive connected?

Are you willing to try to clone using another application?

A proper and successful clone would transfer ALL partitions to the new drive, with no software missing.

Not sure what you did with EaseUS.

i used easeUS to clone it, it cloned the drive with no error's after swapping the drives win 11 boots ok
but most of the software is missing, and the recovery partition is also not working,
Recovery partition is not necessary. Just delete it.

All recovery environment functionality can be accessed by using windows installation media.

Anyway - after you upgrade your windows 11 to version 22H2, it should also reinstall recovery partition.

Purp1esasquach

Commendable
Oct 5, 2020
Will the original drive still boot the machine when it is the only drive connected?

Are you willing to try to clone using another application?

A proper and successful clone would transfer ALL partitions to the new drive, with no software missing.

Not sure what you did with EaseUS.
hi yes the original drive is fine i removed it as its only 512gb, im using :
WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Gaming SSD up to 5150 MB/s read speed

when i did the clone i used easeus clone, i did nothing but follow the instructions, as you can see in the pic, the drive shows the partisons but the recovery shows an error when you try to recover, and most of the win software, ie bloteware and programs are missing, but the os shows no issues and boots correctly.

i have another nvme m.2 coming tomorow and a caddie.

Recovery partition is not necessary. Just delete it.

All recovery environment functionality can be accessed by using windows installation media.
I would argue to keep it. For one it's a few hundred megabytes. If you're really hurting for that much space, you need a bigger drive.

For another, it's inconvenient to need an installation media to use it. I may not use the RE a lot, but I'd rather have it right there than to fumble for my Windows USB installer.

Purp1esasquach

Commendable
Oct 5, 2020
Ok here whats strange, i downloded Macrium Reflect, and opened it, it is showing the same as easeus it says the recovery is there but as you can clearly see in windows its not, when i tried to use recovery in win 11 it give an error saying some files are missing and cant complete use install media instead ???

Purp1esasquach

Commendable
Oct 5, 2020
Personally, I would start over.

Does the system still boot up in its original config, without the new drive?
If so, please show us a screencap of the Disk Management window.

hi i will do that tomorow when the new drive comes as i dont want to keep taking this apart lol, soon as it arives tomorow ill do that.

USAFRet

Titan
hi i will do that tomorow when the new drive comes as i dont want to keep taking this apart lol, soon as it arives tomorow ill do that.
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Ok here whats strange, i downloded Macrium Reflect, and opened it, it is showing the same as easeus it says the recovery is there but as you can clearly see in windows its not, when i tried to use recovery in win 11 it give an error saying some files are missing and cant complete use install media instead ???

Looking at your screen shot in your first post, it looks like you may have cloned ONLY the C partition with EaseUS, not ALL partitions.

You want to clone ALL partitions.

I think a Macrium clone would include ALL partitions by default. You would click "clone this disk" below the drive you want to clone.

Or you can make an image file of ALL partitions and then restore that image file to the new drive.

Either method should work. Macrium does both. Clone and image are different procedures with the same result.

when i tried to use recovery in win 11 it give an error saying some files are missing and cant complete
use install media instead ???
If you absolutely need recovery environment installed, then
  1. Assign drive letter to 1008MB partition (for example letter R: )
  2. Find winre.wim file in R: , note file path (for example R:\recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim )
  3. Execute from elevated command prompt
reagentc /disable
reagentc /setreimage /path R:\recovery\WindowsRE
reagentc /enable

Done. You have recovery environment set up.
No need to reinstall or redo cloning.

Last edited:
I also agree with starting over with a fresh reinstall of Windows at this point. But if you need help easing the pain of getting back to where you were:
  • Use https://ninite.com/ to make a one-click installer. It supports a lot of popular apps and it also skips any unwanted crud the official installer may have.
  • In the original drive, look in the directory Users\[username]\AppData (you may have to manually type that in). A lot of what's in here contains data applications generate, such as game save files or application configurations. You'll have to dig around to see what looks recognizable and copy it over to the new drive.
    • You can ignore the Microsoft and Temp folders.
    • If you play games with cloud save support, you can also just let the cloud save feature restore it
    • I typically look in here to back up my Firefox browser state, so I don't have to re-login and stuff.
  • You can also store things like driver or application installers on the Windows USB install media. This won't cause issues when installing Windows.