Question Win 11 pro & office pro 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2022
Can windows 11 pro and ms office professional plus 2021 be instalked on different drives. I like the idea of having my os on its own drive and all other software /apps on a separate drive with my data / files on a separate 3rd drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Can windows 11 pro and ms office professional plus 2021 be instalked on different drives. I like the idea of having my os on its own drive and all other software /apps on a separate drive with my data / files on a separate 3rd drive.
It depends on how you obtained Office.
Some version allow installation on any drive.
Others do not give you a choice.

You see this during the install.
If it lets you, great.
Otherwise, no.

Personally, though, I see NO benefit in applications on a different drive than the OS.

Parts of EVERY piece of installed software must reside on the OS drive. You can't have just the OS all by itself. If you're trying to avoid having to reinstall software should the OS have to be wiped and reinstalled then stop right there. You'd have to reinstall everything all over again to reestablish all those thousands of registry entries required, so there's absolutely no advantage to having the apps on a separate drive. Data yes, apps no. One of the only exceptions being Steam games.

Feb 18, 2022
Parts of EVERY piece of installed software must reside on the OS drive. You can't have just the OS all by itself. If you're trying to avoid having to reinstall software should the OS have to be wiped and reinstalled then stop right there. You'd have to reinstall everything all over again to reestablish all those thousands of registry entries required, so there's absolutely no advantage to having the apps on a separate drive. Data yes, apps no. One of the only exceptions being Steam games.
Ok. Option 2. What about having 2 ssds as partitions of a common drive. Os on 1 and other software on the orher.

Feb 18, 2022
What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish here? Your "Option 2" is no different than your original question.
They are very different from my point of view. Maybe that is my bad. Option 1 was 2 separate drives entirely. Oprion 2 was the 2 drives effwctively 1 larger drive with a partition. The aim being 3 fold. Speed, if a drive fails only part of the system is corrupted or lost, 3 ease of repair or reinstallation.

USAFRet

Titan
They are very different from my point of view. Maybe that is my bad. Option 1 was 2 separate drives entirely. Oprion 2 was the 2 drives effwctively 1 larger drive with a partition. The aim being 3 fold. Speed, if a drive fails only part of the system is corrupted or lost, 3 ease of repair or reinstallation.
Speed is not an issue with either configuration.

"Ease of repair or reinstallation" is handled by a comprehensive backup routine.

Full drive(s), automated, Images saved to some other location(s).
Automated and tested.

Right now, if any of the 6 physical drives in my system were to die, all I'd need to is slot in a new drive, and recover from last nights backup.
Poof, contents restored exactly as it was sometime between midnight and 5AM (2 hours ago)

With the OS on one drive and applications on another, or all on the same drive...it makes no difference.
In the event of an OS install, you'd need to reinstall the applications anyway.

Your data, OTOH, can easily live on other drives.

And with your option 2 if the drive containing those partitions fails, you lose EVERYTHING on the drive. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.