Question Win 11 - Windows Server Essentials Connector not working

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I've just upgraded my wife's PC from Win 10 to Win 11 (Intel 10600k/ASUS Prime Z490P). This was an 'in-place' upgrade and it all went very smoothly.

I had to go through some iterations of install/uninstall to get the Client Connector (Windows Server 2012R2) successfully installed. Windows 10 was a PITA too.

The Windows Server dashboard will launch from her PC and connect with the server just fine. But the server does not see her PC and reports as not available or not connected to the network.

Her PC connects to server folders just fine - I'm kind of stumped. Hopefully assuming there's a simple fix and that Windows 11 is just not compatible with the Windows Server Essentials Connector...???

The Windows Server does nightly backups of all of my desktops and laptops and accommodates quickly restoring a single file from a week ago or a bare metal restore from a prior point in time.

TIA for any input!

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014

That's talking about Windows Home Server - a much older, stand alone product (I used it prior to migrating to Windows Server 2012 8 years ago).

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is a component of the Windows 2012 platform, which while old, doesn't EOL until October 14, 2023 - still a year away. And we're talking about support for Windows 11 which was released a year ago...

Also, the situation is different - I'm able to install and launch the Windows Server Dashboard in Windows 11. It's like half of it is working fine - the client connects to the server via Dashboard but the server doesn't see the client when attempting to connect for backup...

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
The Windows Server Essentials Connector is working as expected on my Win 11 client.

This was an in-place upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 so all of the PC identifiers (name, description, IP, etc) stayed identical, however, the Windows Server Dashboard put the upgraded client as a new entry - I was looking at the old entry.

All seems well. I'll let this PC run for a week and then upgrade another client PC!