win 2000 as web server

ms

Hello,

I'm new to using Win 2000. I have Win 2000 Pro. Can if function as my web
server, or do I need a different version. I want to serve up a web site
from my computer here, using whatever ip address I have. Any other help on
this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott Baxter

"MS" <info@websearchstore.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to using Win 2000. I have Win 2000 Pro. Can if function as my
> web server, or do I need a different version. I want to serve up a web
> site from my computer here, using whatever ip address I have. Any other
> help on this would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Scott Baxter

Yes, you can use it was your webserver.

BUT (assuming IIS), there is a limit (10?) on the number of sessions it can
support. This means that it would be fine serving up a hobby/home-page or
for an intranet server for a small business, but not for a busy site.

Alternately you could put Apache on it and then you wouldn't have a limit on
the number of connections - although Apache would make it harder to run asp
and asp.net applications.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

ms

Thanks. Where do I get the IIS. Is it on the win 2000 cd?

Thanks.

Scott

> Thanks. Where do I get the IIS. Is it on the win 2000 cd?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Yes, it should be on the Windows 2000 cd:

Start > Settings > Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs
Add/Remove Windows Components

and you should see "Internet Information Services (IIS)". Tick it ....

If you are going to connect your Windows 2000 box to the internet then
remember that you MUST install a firewall. Personally I would recommend a
hardware firewall (even one built into the simplest of routers is probably
adequate), but a software firewall is almost as good. Assuming you are doing
this as a home/hobby project then you should be able to use any of the
"personal" firewalls - see http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/firewalls.htm -
but if this is a commercial project then you will need to pay for the
firewall.

Brian.
--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Thanks. Where do I get the IIS. Is it on the win 2000 cd?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
> "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in
> message
> > "MS" <info@websearchstore.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm new to using Win 2000. I have Win 2000 Pro. Can if
> function as my
> >> web server, or do I need a different version. I want to
> serve up a web
> >> site from my computer here, using whatever ip address I
> have. Any other
> >> help on this would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> Scott Baxter
> >
> > Yes, you can use it was your webserver.
> >
> > BUT (assuming IIS), there is a limit (10?) on the number of
> sessions it
> > can support. This means that it would be fine serving up a
> hobby/home-page
> > or for an intranet server for a small business, but not for
> a busy site.
> >
> > Alternately you could put Apache on it and then you wouldn't
> have a limit
> > on the number of connections - although Apache would make it
> harder to run
> > asp and asp.net applications.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Brian.
> >
> > --
> > www.cryer.co.uk/brian

I once (stupidly and regrtably) used win 2000 as a web server using
IIS, I never encontered connection limitation (but there was never
that many connected), in any case IF you want to risk the security of
your server you can use IIS (install by Add/Remove Windows componants,
pro only). Id surgest a more securer and more efficant alternative to
IIS, but if I do this post will get blocked as moderators dont like
people "advertising" products.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-win-2000-web-ftopict416385.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1389902

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

(snip)

> I once (stupidly and regrtably) used win 2000 as a web server using
> IIS, I never encontered connection limitation (but there was never
> that many connected), in any case IF you want to risk the security of
> your server you can use IIS (install by Add/Remove Windows componants,
> pro only). Id surgest a more securer and more efficant alternative to
> IIS, but if I do this post will get blocked as moderators dont like
> people "advertising" products.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-win-2000-web-ftopict416385.html

What problems/issues did you encounter? (or is it part of the generic
Microsoft problem where products seem to continually need patching as
security holes are found?)

I use a mixture of Apache and IIS, so I don't have an axe to grind - but I'm
sure it would be helpful to Scott (original poster) if you outlined some of
the problems.

Brian.
--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>
> (snip)
>
> > I once (stupidly and regrtably) used win 2000 as a web
> server using
> > IIS, I never encontered connection limitation (but there was
> never
> > that many connected), in any case IF you want to risk the
> security of
> > your server you can use IIS (install by Add/Remove Windows
> componants,
> > pro only). Id surgest a more securer and more efficant
> alternative to
> > IIS, but if I do this post will get blocked as moderators
> dont like
> > people "advertising" products.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-win-2000-web-ftopict416385.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1389902
>
> What problems/issues did you encounter? (or is it part of the
> generic
> Microsoft problem where products seem to continually need
> patching as
> security holes are found?)
>
> I use a mixture of Apache and IIS, so I don't have an axe to
> grind - but I'm
> sure it would be helpful to Scott (original poster) if you
> outlined some of
> the problems.
>
> Brian.
> --
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

It’s not that there a specific problems as such, it’s just that
IIS has a long history of been insecure and unstable (The most
noticable flaw was in IIS 3, where if you sent a string longer then
255 charaters to the server, it would crash) If you do intend to use
IIS for a web server (rather then a local intranet server) it would be
wise to read articals on locking down IIS and such, here is one I
found on security focus. http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1755
asighed for the potential security threat, IIS is rather inefficant.
Although (acording to a benchmark paid for by Microsoft and done by a
3rd party) IIS 6 (only avalable on Server 2003) out perphrms apache by
alot, of course if you ask me the tests wernt fair, as the OS’s they
where running apache on where Redhat Linux pro, Redhat Linux
Enterprise server and another redhat linux distribution. Non of which
where specificly desighned to run as dedicated web servers.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"Sparda" wrote:
> It's not that there a specific problems as such, it's just
> that IIS has a long history of been insecure and unstable (The
> most noticable flaw was in IIS 3, where if you sent a string
> longer then 255 charaters to the server, it would crash) If
> you do intend to use IIS for a web server (rather then a local
> intranet server) it would be wise to read articals on locking
> down IIS and such, here is one I found on security focus.
> http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1755 asighed for the
> potential security threat, IIS is rather inefficant. Although
> (acording to a benchmark paid for by Microsoft and done by a
> 3rd party) IIS 6 (only avalable on Server 2003) out perphrms
> apache by alot, of course if you ask me the tests wernt fair,
> as the OS's they where running apache on where Redhat Linux
> pro, Redhat Linux Enterprise server and another redhat linux
> distribution. Non of which where specificly desighned to run
> as dedicated web servers.

One problem I did have that made me totaly paranoid (and hence stop
using IIS) was that my IIS logs ware crammed with (waht apeared to be)
atack atemps, I never did work out if any of them where succesful, but
thoughs logs where inof to convert me from IIS to apache.

"Sparda" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Sparda" wrote:
> > It's not that there a specific problems as such, it's just
> > that IIS has a long history of been insecure and unstable (The
> > most noticable flaw was in IIS 3, where if you sent a string
> > longer then 255 charaters to the server, it would crash) If
> > you do intend to use IIS for a web server (rather then a local
> > intranet server) it would be wise to read articals on locking
> > down IIS and such, here is one I found on security focus.
> > http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1755 asighed for the
> > potential security threat, IIS is rather inefficant. Although
> > (acording to a benchmark paid for by Microsoft and done by a
> > 3rd party) IIS 6 (only avalable on Server 2003) out perphrms
> > apache by alot, of course if you ask me the tests wernt fair,
> > as the OS's they where running apache on where Redhat Linux
> > pro, Redhat Linux Enterprise server and another redhat linux
> > distribution. Non of which where specificly desighned to run
> > as dedicated web servers.
>
> One problem I did have that made me totaly paranoid (and hence stop
> using IIS) was that my IIS logs ware crammed with (waht apeared to be)
> atack atemps, I never did work out if any of them where succesful, but
> thoughs logs where inof to convert me from IIS to apache.

Yes, I know what you mean. One of my apache servers went through a period
where it logged what where obviously attempts against an IIS server. I
really must check my IIS logs ...

Brian.

--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian