Win 2000 @#$!$%

G

I installed 2K on boot up to overwrite W98se and then I installed the service packs. I had to reinstall sound card and modem and add new drivers to make everything work. My problem is, when I try to set up to the net, the puter doesn't hear a dial tone. I've checked the line and it is working properly. I ran the systems tools and everything says OK! When I ran the DirectX test, the puter re-booted!!!!!!!! I've noticed everything is running on IRQ 9???? My last question is; Did Satan make computers so we would all go to HELL?????? Any help is appreciated.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
sounds like modem drivers to me, one thing about windows, even if the modem isnt installed correctly, they often still pass the diagnostic "test".

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

I loaded the drivers for my modem--W2K compliant---from the CD and it still did not work! I went and put a LT Winmodem in and the same problem! One other thing, I set the monitor to use a screensaver and as soon as I chose a screensave, the @#$@! thing shut down and rebooted! I wonder if Satan and Bill Gates are related! Any suggestions on how to fix these problems is appreciated. (A WHOLE BUNCH)

G

I am running a 900 tbird on the asus a7v133 mb. Asus A7700v card. 1.5gb sdram (photography!)Actiontek 56k pci modem. AO sound card--El cheepo--I prefer silence. ( I had children!)Again, any help is appreciated!

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go into "Control Panel\System\(Advanced Tabl)\Startup and recovery" and uncheck "Automatically reboot", it will show you the actual blue screen instead of auto-reboot. Then, you'll be able to see what is causing you trouble.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
What brainstorm said.

..and when you see the bluescreen, jot down the first two lines and come back here and post them.

Also, check your event viewer to see what's happening at the time.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Ah yes, one more thingy that might help you narrow it down...
use hyperterm to connect to the comm port the modem is on then send the modem an ATA command. If memory serves this will cause the modem to "answer". You'll at least know if you have a good connection to your modem. You can troubleshoot the rest of dialup after that.

dialup ***shivver***cringe***shiver***

G

I figured out I must have loaded the wrong drivers for the 7700v card so I started over. I don't have any shutdowns now but I can only run 16bit color on the current driver from W2K. Asus emailed me on this puter where to download the correct driver but I can't get the modem to work on the other puter!!!! "No Dialtone". When I "Overwrote W98se" , I must have screwed up BIG TIME! I wasn't having any problem with 98 except for the small amount of ram it would recognize. i must admit I have very little knowledge on the "guts" of a puter so please keep the response as simple as you can. :)Thanks

G

I checked the port assigned to the modem and W2K assigned com 3. I checked in the device mgr under ports and all it shows is com 1 and com 2. I changed the port in the prop. box on the modem with the same results. "No dialtone". I think I have made me a 40lb fishing weight! You think if I installed an external modem I would have any luck?

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
When in doubt format C:, and install a new copy of the OS.
I hade to do this when 2000 wouldent see my NIC card.

cyprus

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
Leonard Brandwein.

G

I suppose reformatting is an option. I suppose I'll try that next.

G

I forgot to ask, Can I reformat since I have changed to the NTFS instead of FAT???

G

I used disk manager 2000 and erased the HD. Then I booted with W2K and reformated the disk befor loading W2K. Everything went fine until I tried to hook up to net. I received an error message that the modem was not using the correct port. I SURRENDER!!!!!

G

This is my last post on this subject. I downloaded Disk Manager 2000 (IBM web site) erased the hard drive and then booted up with W2k cd, reformated the drive and then reloaded W2k. I reinstalled the internal modem with no luck. I went and bought a new External modem and hooked it directly to Com 1 port. Loaded the software and GLORY HALALUIA--mispelled but who cares--- I am now hooked up to the net! Thanks to all who cared enough to help.