win 7 64 bit audio problem please help

MihneaMLG22

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hello, I have a older machine, and my sound card doesen't work anymore (integrated, ac'97) I tried reinstalling the drivers , but no driver could work. I asked one of my friends that is living off repairing computers what was happening. She gave me a driver, but nothing. The current message was displayed in the driver manager :"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)". She told me that my sound board was probably burnt and gave me a dedicated sound board, brand new, with drivers CD. I installed the sound board (C-media PCI audio device, now i found that it is a CMI8738 from gembird) and it showed the same message.
Also , here are my specifications:
CPU: AMD athlon 64 processor 3800+
GPU:NVIDIA QUADRO FX 1500
Mother Board: M2N4-SLI
RAM: 2gb ddr2
Please, really need some help! I need my computer audio back!

Ralston18

Titan
The original audio was coming from the motherboard' onboard audio - correct?

When you installed the dedicated sound board did you disable the onboard audio card?

You may also needed to go into the speaker settings (small speaker icon, lower right screen corner) and select Playback devices. Check that the dedicated sound board is the default Playback device and verify the settings via the various tabs and properties.

MihneaMLG22

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Also I tried installing another 5 drivers I found online, but the setup will say that it can't find the device and terminate.
What is going on ? I cleaned carrefully the slot I put the card in !

Ralston18

Titan
How did you clean the slot?

Is the card installed in a PCI-e slot as matches the model. However, the specifications etc. were not consistent.

You might try reseating the card a couple of times. Inspect both the slot and the card's connectors for damage.

You must download the drivers specifically created for that audio card: make, model, and version. Older driver versions may work but some function might be lost or some bug appear. Download the driver from the manufacturer.

Have your friend try the audio card on another computer to ensure that the audio card does indeed work. Could be bad to begin with.

MihneaMLG22

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
The sound card worked flawless when she tested it on her computer. I used some dry paper towels, I tried the slot with my network card and it worked perfectly.So the slot isn't the blame.
Just now I inspected the card. it is in perfect condition. Almost brand new.
Than what could be wrong?