Win 7 64bit won't allow to install program in the WINDOWS folder.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
OS windows 7 64 bit hp.

Goal: To install a program in local disk c -> windows folder -> windows subfolder.
I read on a site it will work.
I will first test it on a virtual maschine, in case you think it won't work.

I ran the installation as administrator, that is right click and press run as administrator.
Still during installation windows prompted, that it could not install the program in
a subfolder to the windows folder because not administrator.
And asked for a rerun of the installation as an administrator.
It's mine computer, so I'm administrator.

How do I install the program in the described subfolder?
Thanks.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
what exactly is the point of installing it in a subfolder within the windows folder? Depending on the program you should be able to select the install location... it just baffles me as to why anyone would want to install something in a subfolder within windows\

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Same for me.
However in another forum it was claimed that a 32 bit program would run and get fully
integrated in windows 64 bit, if installed in a windows subfolder. Else it won't.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
it's going to install and run fine no matter where it is installed to 99% of the time. 64 bit windows is 32 bit compatible.. the only difference is 32 bit apps by default will usually be installed to c:\program files (x86)\ where 64 bit will be installed to c:\program files\ but the location of the files themselves matter nothing. the 32 bit program will always be 32 bit because it uses 32 bit binaries... this should however present no issues like I said 64 bit windows can run 32 bit and 64 bit applications

just out of curiosity what program is this that you're installing? And, what exactly do you mean by integrate?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Got me interested also. If you ever need to repair or reinstall the OS you would probably lose those folders. Also "where" you install things just provides markers for the integration of the software programs and the OS. The data is still written to the disk the same by the disk management of the OS. The associated paths also serve to make it possible for us to easily read and select things. What I mean is that a sub folder of windows could be written anywhere on the disk not right in the window files. It is not like a library of physical books where you can put then in order on a shelf.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not saying it will work. I'm saying that someone else is saying it will work, and
want to test it.
It's about 32 bit sapi5 voices on windows 7 64 bit systems.
They can be installed on win 7 64bit and work. But they will not be available
in the 'text to speech' menu. To make that happen you may run a file
called change voice. That will make all installed 32bit voices available in the 'text to
speech' menu. And you can choose a 32bit voice. And this will make some
text to speech programs use the choosen voice and not the default voice anna.
In short it's about getting another default voice than voice anna.
But if you use the change voice file to make win 7 64 bit use another sapi5
voice when you turn off and on the computer, voice anna is again the
used voice. So you have to run the change voice file to choose another voice again.
On a windows 8 system it was claimed, that installing a sapi 32 bti voice in this folder: disk c -> WINDOWS -> speech -> ... -> en-US
will make it possible to choose another default voice.
Now I want to test that solution.
But windows won't let me install in the subfolder, and says I'm not administrator.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

I have tried that.
But windows 7 is very strict about the WINDOWS folder. I can go to properties and security.
But I cannot change them.
Try if you can change your WINDOWS folder on your system to writable. If yes, tell my how.
Thanks.

BS.

Windows X64 comes with a program that will wrap any 32-bit exe to 64-bits, so the OS can execute it. The application can be anywhere on teh PC, not just within the Windows folder.

As a rule: Never install anything in the Windows folder.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

try running the setup file by right clicking and clicking "run as administrator"

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

In my first posting I wrote: I ran the installation as administrator, that is right click and press run as administrator

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Did you read the posts above?
You are missing the point.
The exe file will be installed, but only be available in 'text to speech' menu if you run a change voice file. And only until
the computer is turned off, then voice anna is back again.
Again a suggested solution from another forum is to install the exe file in location:
computer -> disk c -> windows -> speech -> engines -> sr -> en-US
Still you write; never install anything in the windows folder?!

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I did some research and there are many others trying to have something other than Anna as the voice. From what I can tell, at this time there is no way to do what you want. I have another program that incorporates a valid voice file. The speech recognition program will not load it. It shows it as an alternative but will not play it. It appears that MS may offer for sale additional voice packs in the future. Or that was the plan. With Win 8 so close that probably will never happen. Sad to say but I have not been able to find anyone who has been able to add a voice. If you do find a way please post because I would like to change mine as well. GL

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Thank you for your effort.
I have made some investigations myself.
Now to make these points clear:
What I want is a way to install a sapi5 32bit voice on
a windows 7 64bit computer, make the voice the default voice and make it stay
that way after turning off and on the computer.
Maybe you right, it cannot be done. But someone suggested installing the
sapi5 32 bit voice in the en-US folder. But I cannot make that folder
writeable.
If a solution was found many could use it.

What follows goes for sapi5 32bit german voice steffi.
I don't know if it works on other languages
Fact is, that if you run a windows 7 32bit computer, you can install a sapi5
32 bit voice. And you can make it available in the 'text to speech' menu
and you can choose the 32bit voice and it will be used by text to speech
programs. I don't remember if you can set it to the default voice, and
if it will stay the default voice after turning off and on the computer.

If you have a windows 7 64 bit computer try this.
Go to:
http://mumble-tower.de/mumble-user-guide/tipps-tricks/sprecher-der-windows-sprachausgabe-auf-deutsch
Download the file you see at the bottom, just below 'download'.
Now install the sapi5 32 bit voice.
Reboot.
Now run the file change voice and the 32bit voice should be available.
At least it works running adobe reader x read out loud, and naturalsoft
free text to speech.
But after turning the computer off and on. Voice anna is back.
And 'change voice' must be run again.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Yes this has also been reported by others but two things, the new voice does not run in the speech recognition program in win7/64 and you need to do the reload thing every time. There may be a reg. hack to get around that. But all this is a kludge. MS has not given us a way to add and change permanently the Anna voice. Stupid simple oversight.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

You wrote:
the new voice does not run in the speech recognition program in win7/64 and you need to do the reload thing every time.
Can you specify, what you mean by that?

You wrote:
I have another program that incorporates a valid voice file. The speech recognition program will not load it. It shows it as an alternative but will not play it.
It seems random which programs installed on windows 64bit, will be
able to use the 32 bit voices and which not. Fx naturalsoft reader free
will use the 32bit voice also without running 'change voice'.
Run 'change voice' or not, windows 7 64 bit narrator text to speech will
keep on using voice anna.
NVDA, a replacement for windows 7 text to speech narrator, once set to use a 32bit voice will use the 32 bit voice, also after turning on the computer again.

I don't think microsoft made this error on purpose. Then it would not
be possible to install 32bit voices and for some programs, use them.
Maybe they didn't consider, that users would use their 32 bit voices, on
a 64 bit computer.

Reg key settings could be a solution. I read an article about getting
windows xp to use voice anna. And that involved reg key settings.
But the manual wasn't very specific.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
For testing I installed a bunch of ivona trial sapi5 voices on a windows 7 64bit computer.
The voices are of a very high quality.
And the windows 7 text to speech narrator feature works with ivona voices.

Then I found out that the ivona voices are installed in the program x86 folder.

So I conclude, that windows 7 64bit does support 32bit sapi5 voices. Intended or
not, older 32bit sapi voices will not work or only work partially on windows 7 64bit versions.
So some programs will be able to use these sapi5 voices and some not.

On windows 7 32 bit in general older sapi voices will run and work with programs installed
using installed sapi5 voices. But the text to speech windows 7 narrator will not use them
and instead use voice anna.

TRENDING THREADS