Question Win 7 black screen

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
So here I am staring at my black screen of nothing.

I can boot into safe mode, but for some reason it will not give me the advanced options for rebooting in last good configuration, despite me being the only user on my own PC.

I tried to update the graphics drivers, but it says they are good. I tried Win+Crtl+Shift+B and that did nothing noticeable.

I HAVE the windows install disc, but I am worried about anything I do wiping my files.

What do you fine, wise folk, suggest?

Thank you for your time.

Ralston18

Titan
Start by updating your post with full system hardware specs and Windows 7 OS information.

Next, because you still can boot the system, ensure that you back up all important files/data. Verify that those files are both recoverable and readable.

Is there some reason (no criticism intended or implied) regarding the continued use of Windows 7?

All in all, Windows 7 is obsolete. No hardware or software manufacturers have any obligation to continue supporting Windows 7.

Options may be limited now.....

Windows 10 may be needed .

Reactions: CharlotteAbbe

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
64gb of ram

Windows 7 home premium 64-bit is the OS.

I use windows 7 because it's compatible with a number of programs I use regularly and I am not sure windows 10 would be. I'm also used to it and it's paid for. I'd also likely have to pay for new licenses for a few of them if I switched to windows 10.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Well, this is interesting; I just noticed that I have the cursor on the screen. Still otherwise all-black. It doesn't make sense to me to be the drivers then.

Oh. And I forgot to mention that when I tried to use the windows install disc to do s repair; it told me it was not compatible with my version of windows. What the heck? This is the disc I used when I built this thing.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Still dealing with black screen and cursor, things are moving along, but the issue persists.

Current hurdle is that F8 does not bring up the advanced boot options, only the basic stuff. All I can find online is what to do if F8 doesn't work at all.

I'm not sure if one of the advanced options would do it for me, or what. But I know I can't access them and I think I should be able to. BIOS at least lists me as an administrator.

Is there a way to get to those options or enable them some other way?

Thanks for your time.

I have windows 7 home and student, 64gb of ram. I think my motherboard is an AMD.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Wow, did this get worse.

At the moment; I can't even get into safe mode to get the system specs.

First I tried to repair my copy of windows, then to reinstall it.

That's how I found out that rather than Win7 home, I have Win7 Pro...for some reason and inexplicably. That's also how I found out my product key would not work.

Then today, bizarrely; I cam across a copy of Win7 Pro in a pile of insurance paperwork I was putting away that I cannot explain in any way, shape or form.

Too bad that my Win7 Home install got just far enough to stick at the point of inputting the product key or repairing itself. So, because of that; I cannot seem to get into safe mode to get the system specs, or try the repair/reinstall + Product key route with this Win7 Pro disc I can't recall ever buying or being given.

I also can't seem to get into my own BIOS setting now, either to see if my boot options changed.

Right now, it is running another memory diagnostic in hope that somehow lets me do what I want and I am going to try and figure out a way to make it forget the Win7 Home stuff and let me try the Win7 Pro things.

Based on the way it is acting, I also have doubts that it would let me install Win10 if I bought it, which is what I was looking at before trying the anomalous Win7 Pro disc.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so what started this issue? did you install something? install an update? it just popped up on its own randomly??

can you boot and run the pc from a live disk? something like ubuntu live cd will tell you if it is your windows install or some hardware problem

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

create the bootable usb and select run as live cd when it loads instead of install. little to go on as to what started this but your troubles getting it to reinstall seems like this might be hardware related.

Reactions: CharlotteAbbe

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
I was annoyed that I was having trouble typing an email in hotmail; it kept left-justifying the cursor and coping in parts of words I already wrote.

So I restarted the computer. When I did; this happened.

Now, you want real insanity?

It's fixed now.

I called up a friend and walked him through what I wanted to happen and instead of not working; it worked and here I am with windows working again. Now I need to get it online again, update it and make a recovery disc like I should have done years ago.