Win 7 Disk Management

muso56

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Hi Guys,
Hope I am in the right place!

Sometime ago I partitioned a friends drive with 2 partitions approx 60% and 40% with win 7 O/S on the former. Now He has asked to have the sevond partion removed due to space constraints.
Free disk management software's do not have the merge function active until purchased so......

Is it feasible to
1. Backup or delete files on second partition.
2. Delete said partition.
3. Reassign unalocated space to the first partition without affecting win 7 O/S ?

Would appreciate any thoughts and guidance.
Willy

Solution
Hey there, Willy!

Yes, it is possible. However, I'd recommend backing up the second partition on some other drive or an external.
Afterwards, you'd need to 'Delete the volume' (meaning the second partition) by right-clicking on it. Once the space becomes 'Unallocated' go to your OS partition and right-click > then select 'Extend Volume'. Now you should be having only one partition on the drive.
Check this picture tutorial, if you need further guidance: http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/merge-two-partitions-in-windows-7/

Hope it helps. :)
SuperSoph_WD

drixkarasu

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Yes it can be done from the disk manager.
You need to delete the 2nd partition so it shows as "unallocated space" and then you can increase the allocated space for the c: partition.
Make sure to backup any important information before deleting the partition.

Hey there, Willy!

Yes, it is possible. However, I'd recommend backing up the second partition on some other drive or an external.
Afterwards, you'd need to 'Delete the volume' (meaning the second partition) by right-clicking on it. Once the space becomes 'Unallocated' go to your OS partition and right-click > then select 'Extend Volume'. Now you should be having only one partition on the drive.
Check this picture tutorial, if you need further guidance: http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/merge-two-partitions-in-windows-7/

Hope it helps. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution