Win 7 does not recognise me as administrator

prdp141

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Hello,
I have Win 7 installed. (Why did I ever upgrade from XP? Dah!) Anyhow, whilst tidying up files/folders in Windows Explorer I receive the message that I must be logged on as Administrator. I am! I have gone to my User Account (UAC) and positioned the slider to the bottom of the scale, checked that I am the listed Administrator (yes), but still I keep getting this error message.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Phil

Solution
Ah you have encountered the same problem that drove me mental for days. Here is how it works. When the files in question were created they were created under XP and most people used the default user name which is Administrator under XP. I did also. When I installed WIN 7 I used a different User name from Administrator. So when WIN 7 accesses the files the new user name does not match the old user name used under XP which is still sitting in the permission information in the files in question. When you try and reissue the permissions you will most likely be trying to do so from the Parent Folder level. WIN 7 tries to apply the new permissions but then runs into issues when it hits individual file permissions on files that are scattered...

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Ah you have encountered the same problem that drove me mental for days. Here is how it works. When the files in question were created they were created under XP and most people used the default user name which is Administrator under XP. I did also. When I installed WIN 7 I used a different User name from Administrator. So when WIN 7 accesses the files the new user name does not match the old user name used under XP which is still sitting in the permission information in the files in question. When you try and reissue the permissions you will most likely be trying to do so from the Parent Folder level. WIN 7 tries to apply the new permissions but then runs into issues when it hits individual file permissions on files that are scattered through the directories in the tree. Say the Parent Folder has three directories and two files for examples sake. WIN 7 changes the permissions at a directory level but fails to do so on the two files sitting in the folder. This is not a bug it is delibrate. It is so an Admin can apply permissions to individual files that are sitting in a common directory. All users can access the shared folder but have different permissions at a file level. I hope this makes sense. Those file retain their permissions even though you have taken ownership of the Directory in question. So when you go to copy the directory WIN 7 hits the files that still retain their old permissions and the copy fails giving the impression that WIN 7 did not change any permissions.

Solution

Wamphryi

Distinguished
To explain further say I have a Directory that has permissions for User 1 and User 2 to access it. There are files in there that I want User 1 to read and write too but User 2 can only read them. I have set the files at a individual level to achieve this. Now I want to add User 3. I add user 3 so now User 3 can access the folder but in doing so I do not want the system to over ride my individual file settings else I have to do them all over again. Therefore when I change Directory permissions I want the the individual files to retain their permissions by default. If I had a thousand files all hell would break loose if they did not retain their permissions. So WIN 7 will not and should not change individual file permissions when I make changes at a directory level. This hold true for sub directories as well.

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

change ownership of the file, hen you can modify it.
just google change ownership windows 7, therell be hundreds of tuts on how to do that.

isamuelson

Distinguished

I was stating I was glad you didn't mistakenly slip and type I. I've seen that happen with other words.

Of course, even just with what you said was kind of funny because in my mind I was saying T-U-T-S as toots. :eek: :D

So, I read that as "There'll be hundreds of toots!" [:isamuelson:3]

TRENDING THREADS