win 7 during boot, computer stops 3 seconds then reboots

Jim Bailey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Win 7 x 64 bit, i7 desktop during boot: computer stops 3 seconds then reboots, then usually continues starting Windows, but is erratic.Computer unusable as work tool. Often programs simply will not open. Problem with working in Safe Mode is that the Internet does not work. Multiple problems including hang ups, programs such as WLM, System Mechanic and Zone Alarm Extreme Security freeze during attempted repair processes. Both SM and PC TuneUp work okay in Safe Mode - usually find heaps of junk files.

Previously had tried to update to Win 10 disastrously (soon after initial release). Win 10 update completely destroyed another 4 computers. Had to reinstall Win 7 or 8 from back ups to get workable machines again. Now fearful of attempts to install Win 10, although it has recently worked seemlessly on an i5 HP laptop. One 32 bit Win 8 upgraded to Win 10 a few months ago - appeared seemless at first, but became progressively less stable over a few weeks to the point where it refused to boot.

<email addy removed by moderator>

Solution
Choose "safe mode with networking" to have internet during safe mode.

In your shoes, I would go for a completely fresh install of 7. If this is an OEM (HP, HP,Dell,..) perform a factory restore.