Win 7 + HD7850 GPU = BLACK SCREEN

Aug 5, 2018
A few days ago I was reading gmail when I saw the light blue screen of death. When I restarted my desktop pc the screen was black after the win logo. I was able to boot in using recovery disk for Win 7 64bit but ever since I have been unable to enable my MSI HD7850 Radeon GPU with it or the monitor turns black again. Each time I restart the computer its getting more difficult to boot into Windows. The first time I was able to use Safe Mode with Networking. Then it hung at CLASSPNP.SYS and I used restore points. Then the restore points all disappeared and I used the Win 7 Installation disk. I have a cx750 PSU, Asus Z77 Pro3 Mobo, I5-3570 CPU. The computer currently is viewable with the intel 4000 gpu but of course I cannot play any games like WoW on it.

My question is, will buying a new GPU like the GTX 1060 fix the problem, or will it a) not fit the Z77 motherboard b) not be able to be read by Windows display adapters? I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT IF THE PROBLEM IS FROM A BAD VIDEO CARD OR FROM A WINDOWS UPDATE. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and it didn't work and I'm not about to bake my video card in the oven. My last option is to scrap the whole thing and buy a brand new prebuilt gaming computer which I will want to just play BfA with my old Hannspro monitor (I think its 1080p?) and run things like Quicken and email but very little else. I don't livestream and I dont store photos or movies or music.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Aug 5, 2018
So I ended up reinstalling Win 7 64 bit, reinstalling numerous missing drivers, and finally getting desktop to a semblance of the old one, except my Radeon GPU was being read as "Standard VGA Adapter." I used the installation disc for the GPU and it corrected the name on Device Manager. And then I enabled it. AND THE SCREEN WENT BLACK AGAIN! This is VERY WEIRD since I used this GPU without a problem since 2013 until the blue screen of death a few days ago. Does this just prove that the GPU is dead and I should buy another one?

TRENDING THREADS