Win 7 Home Premium Will Have Family Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
WinSuperSite still hasn't confirmed it, and brings up a good point. They can always remove it just before RTM anyway. Don't count on it.

G

When you buy an Apple OS it means you already payed the Apple Tax because you can't install the OS on non Apple hardware.(can't as in doing this with out violating Apple's licensing).

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
apple makes there money on hardware thats why it costs more, Microsoft makes there money of software thats why it costs more.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
As always there's a certain amount of wishful thinking legalese in here. And that is not to call it idiocy.

If a student lives with their parents, installs one of the licenses on his laptop; a year after he finds a job, moves to his own flat. Of course the EULA doens't allow this, after all, they no longer reside on the same house. Again, nothing is going to happen; the police isn't going to knock on your door saying: "Look Microsoft told us you have been conecting to the Internet from a diffferent location for more than six months now, so you either: move back to your parents home; bring your parents to live with you, or we will have to confiscate your harddrive" :D

Oh well.. all in all it'a a positive thing! After all Antivirus packages have had 3 licenses for one or two years now! And for teh first time it actually makes sense. With Vista Microsoft probably actually may not have wanted you to upgrade your old low end Pentium 4 to Vista beacause of it's slugishness. Now that a few years have passed, and probably most people will at least have a high end Pentium 4, a Pentium D or an Athlon, and Windows 7 even runs more or less well on a Netbook, it actually makes sense to upgrade.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Well, it's only worth it if it's a small price over the single one. Such as $99 for Home Premium, and no more than $149 for the family pack. This again, wishful thinking. I mean right now the 5 packs of OEM Vista Ultimate cost more than 5x a single one. Who put that together, I don't know. But still, it's only 3 users, the OSX Snow license is for 5 people, at least it was for Leopard. But even with this there will probably be way too many problems (ie. bitchy activation, esp for re-installs) to deal with.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I forgot to add something to my ranting:

Instead of "wishing" people reside in the same house, they could just say: you're entitled to install the OS on 3 different computers, as long as it's not for commercial use. It's still wishful thinking on their behalf, but at least it's not ridiculous.

It's almost like saying Windows 7 Home premium PC's can't get out of the door because they're "Home" Editions. And they might get a cold or something :D

Which brings me to this: why on earth is the "Home" still clinging on to the name ever since XP ?

Is there a Windows 7 Holiday Edtion ?; a Windows 7 Traveling-by-Train/Car/Boat Edition ?

Why not simply "Windows 7 Premium" ?

When you go to a store and you buy a laptop, you do with it whatever you want, you cna just go back to your job and use it there. How is that "Home" ?

Really, Microsoft still has a few edges to polish.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'll stick to Snow Leopard Professional Ultimate Extreme Deluxe Business and Fun Edition family pack thanks for $49. I'm glad Apple is always so much more expensive than PCs and Microsoft... wait a minute... how much was that?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]I'll stick to Snow Leopard Professional Ultimate Extreme Deluxe Business and Fun Edition family pack thanks for $49. I'm glad Apple is always so much more expensive than PCs and Microsoft... wait a minute... how much was that?[/citation]
Wait, how much did you pay for your hardware again?

Tool

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Wait, how much did you pay for your hardware again?Tool[/citation]

At the time a good chunk less than what the competition could offer similar specced workstations for and also less than you could build an identical home built system for. Its also worth more now than said equivalent systems from the likes of Dell.

You're right, I do use it as a tool - probably the best value tool I ever bought.

freename

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]I'll stick to Snow Leopard Professional Ultimate Extreme Deluxe Business and Fun Edition family pack thanks for $49. I'm glad Apple is always so much more expensive than PCs and Microsoft... wait a minute... how much was that?[/citation]

Wait, how many hardware configurations are available for use under that OS?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Its also worth more now than said equivalent systems from the likes of Dell.[/citation]
Correction: It's perceived value is higher. It's actual value is significantly lower than the perceived value. Perceived value comes through brainwashing.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]At the time a good chunk less than what the competition could offer similar specced workstations for and also less than you could build an identical home built system for. Its also worth more now than said equivalent systems from the likes of Dell.You're right, I do use it as a tool - probably the best value tool I ever bought.[/citation]

im pretty sure i have built computers that are cheaper than your cheapest laptop and yet they are workstations with components your "wonderful" mac doesnt even offer...

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
This doesn't really make sense, unless MS is offering something like Symantec does with versions of its software, where you can install it on 3 computers. Saying that you can only install it on 3 computers under the same roof is nonsense and totally unenforceable.

It would also imply that one user could install it on three of their computers (like a desktop and laptop), no? So, in a way, it would be like buying other software apps that allow you to install it on two computers (provided you don't use both at the same time :p).

Also, how would they keep track of hardware changes across 3 computers? It is already a pain in the arse to have to reactivate Windows when you replace some component (like the HD).

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
be nice i have 6 computers at home so only 2 family packs saves money. I will be upgrading all computers to the new 7.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Its also worth more now than said equivalent systems from the likes of Dell.[/citation]
Because everyone knows that Apple computers appreciate over time. You know, like goo wine.
/sarcastic

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]im pretty sure i have built computers that are cheaper than your cheapest laptop and yet they are workstations with components your "wonderful" mac doesnt even offer...[/citation]

That was a good comparison. Comparing a home-built desktop system with a high-quality design laptop makes perfect sense! /irony-mode off

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The last "family pak" from Microsoft sold was Vista and it sucked donkey balls.

It was like saving $20 for 3 or 5 users... some garbage like that. Whoopdeoo!

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It seems to me like MS is in a rare mood - listening to industry criticism. I personally wouldn't go back to Windows (unless I build a gaming rig, or under virtualization) but my advice for the rest of you is to KEEP BITCHING. Don't stop complaining, so far they have dropped the 3-app limit on Starter Edition, lowered prices on all editions (though arguably not enough), dealing with malware themselves (at least attempting to), and now a family license may appear - all from consumer/industry complaints. I cannot remember a single time in the past that MS' stance has been: "OK, that seems reasonable, WE'LL CHANGE." If they could just set pricing a little lower (say $50 for a single license of the full Home Edition) and get the whole multi-edition clusterfuck under control (c'mon 3 editions is more than enough), they'd be on their way to regaining a good amount of consumer trust.

PS - In order to make up for one of the most blatant consumer ripoffs in years, MS needs to give owner's of Vista Ultimate their long-awaited Ultimate Extra - a Windows 7 license!

Status
Not open for further replies.