Question Win 7 install hangs at "Setup is preparing your computer for first use"

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Trying to install Win 7 right over the top of the original factory install of XP on my antique Toshiba Satellite M55-S1001 laptop, I did not do a format of the HD. Things looked ok, then it went thru a couple of hours of "Replacing invalid security ID..." but eventually seemed to finish and went to "... Windows has finished checking your disc, Please wait until restart" for a half an hour or so. Eventually got to "Setup is preparing your computer for use" where it stayed overnight and is still hung at. Screen will go to sleep after 15 minutes or so and a touch of the mousepad will awaken it.

So, wait it out? It's been over 10 hours now and just a little 60G HD. Start over and format? I guess it is difficult but can be done, actually I've got an external enclosure I could put it in and do it by USB, seems like that would be the easy way, then start the install process over? I don't need anything on the HD, and actually it's just to see if the computer will work better with Win 7.

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
It's not really high mileage, I pulled it out about 10 years ago when I replaced it with a 250G and even before that it only got used a few weeks of the year. Chkdisc did not show any bad sectors either. Not that it couldn't be the HD, but it's not as old as it would appear.

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Decided to try reloading it. Found a format option while doing so, did a format and bang, it loaded up right now. Obviously have some more setup and tweaking to do, but it's up and running!

Now the only question is will it run any better than XP which is rapidly being obsoleted.

TRENDING THREADS