Win 7 Loading Screen & HDD shuts down? HELP!

olkka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hi!

OK, here is the deal. I was playing Arma II, and the game got suddenly stuck. OK, I restarted my PC and then the problem(s) started.

Windows 7 (64-bit) gives me to options (as always when something goes wrong):

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. Blablabla...

- Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
- Start Windows Normally

Description: Fix problems that are preventing Windows from startign.

IF I choose Launch Startup Repair
, it runs that some kind of diagnosis (5-10min), and says something that the problem can not be fixed...

IF I choose Start Windows Normally
, it goes to the Windows 7 load screen, about 5 seconds and the SATA2 hard drive shuts down?!

OK, I was quite sure, my HDD was broken, so I tried with my older 120gb IDE (Win 7 installed, too), BUT the same thing happends again?!

SATA2 HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (the newest model)
IDE HDD: 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (~5 years old, always serverd me well)

So, where could the problem be? Very unlikely that with HDD, because both react the same... My gaming PC just 2 months old :( ...

Could it be with the motherboard or RAM :( ? What do you think people?

PC´s specs:

PSU: Corsair TX850
MOBO: MSI P55-GD65
RAM: 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3
CPU: Intel Core i5
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4870 512mb
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (ST31000528AS)

Help very much appreciated!

THANKS!

Solution
Well there is a long list on what this might be. But here is what I recommend on doing:

-SOFTWARE-
*Go to BIOS check all temps of all components that can be displayed, also check the voltage.
*Also check if the computer shutsdown even in BIOS. Stay a couple of minutes and see.
*If this fails test your IDE which you hopefully can format and reinstall windows.
*If the new reinstallation of windows fails then its not a software problem(actually could be the BIOS but i dont think so)

-HARDWARE-
*Hopefully you have some friends will allow you to borrow some of their stuff so you can check whats wrong with your computer.
//RAM//
*If you have more than 1 memory module you should take one out and test if the computer works. If not exchange it...

erikjansson

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well there is a long list on what this might be. But here is what I recommend on doing:

-SOFTWARE-
*Go to BIOS check all temps of all components that can be displayed, also check the voltage.
*Also check if the computer shutsdown even in BIOS. Stay a couple of minutes and see.
*If this fails test your IDE which you hopefully can format and reinstall windows.
*If the new reinstallation of windows fails then its not a software problem(actually could be the BIOS but i dont think so)

-HARDWARE-
*Hopefully you have some friends will allow you to borrow some of their stuff so you can check whats wrong with your computer.
//RAM//
*If you have more than 1 memory module you should take one out and test if the computer works. If not exchange it with the other one.
//PSU//
*You should try borrowing one from your friends or better if you got a old comp and then you can just pick the PSU and seeif it works. But remember if the PSU has low Wattage(whatever its called) for example 300W you should take the graphics card out and run with the onboard one, cuz you GPU uses much power.
//MOBO//
*Well there is really no other way than swapping the motherboard from your friends that luckly has the same socket as you. Or you could try and smell if it smells burnt LOL.
//CPU//
*Go to BIOS(If it works) check the voltages and the temps see if everything is according to the manufacturer which is Intel in your case. If it is wrong you should reset bios by doing one of the following options:
-There might be a button that might say: Reset CMOS settings(BIOS settings sumthin like that) I think you have to have the psu on at that time. It will clean and reset all the settings on BIOS where all clocks and voltages are set.
-There is a lithium battery(That round battery that u commonly see on clocks but much larger) just pull it out and plug it back in, it should clear the BIOS as well.
*You can take the CPU out and plug it back in. Probably wont help but who knows?
//Graphics Card//
*Simply swap for the onboard one.
//HDD//
*As you said you swapped for another HDD, but it didnt work. But if there is a problem there is a program that you download and run in a floppy disk or pendrive that actually detectes any malfunctions on the HDD. I just dont remember the name or the name of the webbsite.
Hope This Helps!

Erik Jansson

Solution

olkka

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Thank you very much for erikjansson! The flaw has been founded!

After trying installing Windows 7 four times, the PC still froze before login screen (even though the HDD didn't shut down any more).

Switched the GPU with my friend's Geforce 8800 GTS and everything worked fine. The GPU has been returned and now I'm waiting refund. Considering a new HD 4870 or the newer HD 4890 (Super OCed model)...