Question Win 7 permissions and trustedinstaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2019
I recently reinstalled Win7 and moved a few files from the os to the new one. I am the only user, and thus administrator. All I wanted to do was change the permissions on a folder I had on the dekstop to not be read only. No matter what I did it would continue to revert to read only. I made sure I had full control. I changed ownership of the file. I tried going through cmd using attrib -r c:\my-folder, but it just kept saying incorrect parameters.

Long story short. I ended up getting really frustrated and changing ownership of my OS drive from trustedinstaller to myself. This didn't solve my problem and I'm still unable to change the read only status of the folder in question mocking me from the desktop. I read later that changing ownership of the C drive can cause many a issue.

Did I screw up, and what can I to change this darn folder?

Feb 12, 2019
Go to CMD and type "takeown /f (File Location)" then go to the file, right click it, select properties, go to the security tab. Click edit, then give yourself full permissions, Note: don't change any other user's permissions (example: SYSTEM). If that does not work, go to the security tab again, Click Advanced then click advanced again, then click Find Now then change the owner to your account, after that check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and also check the box that says "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable entries from this object" and click apply.

EDIT: Might have misunderstood your question. I also don't know if this works on Windows 7.

Feb 5, 2019
Reinstall time. Don’t mess with TrustedInstaller ever. Or ownership

Is that necessary? There are apparently ways to reinstate trustedinstaller as owner of C. Would this not solve the problem? I have yet to run into any issues, but beyond issues with windows update I'm not sure what problems could occur.

USAFRet

Titan
"apparently ways to reinstate"....

Well, you could try those. I wouldn't hold out much hope, though.
Do you know exactly which parts should be TrustedInstaller and which something else?

Also, this is what a good backup routine can fix.

Apr 20, 2019
@ Stektpotatis,ima make this super easy for you! Take Full Ownership Context Menu Registry Hack "https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/take_full_ownership_of_files_folders_registry_hack.html"
Go to that link download the zip folder extract the contents to desktop make sure administrator when running and open add install take ownership.reg
Once you say yes to add to registry basically reboot, then right click folder you want full access to click take ownership. and uncheck readonly . Done ! If you have more questions or need help remotely contact me on discord "https://discord.gg/hYNBMd"

Colif

Win 11 Master
I recently reinstalled Win7 and moved a few files from the os to the new one. I am the only user, and thus administrator. All I wanted to do was change the permissions on a folder I had on the dekstop to not be read only. No matter what I did it would continue to revert to read only. I made sure I had full control. I changed ownership of the file. I tried going through cmd using attrib -r c:\my-folder, but it just kept saying incorrect parameters.

Long story short. I ended up getting really frustrated and changing ownership of my OS drive from trustedinstaller to myself. This didn't solve my problem and I'm still unable to change the read only status of the folder in question mocking me from the desktop. I read later that changing ownership of the C drive can cause many a issue.

Did I screw up, and what can I to change this darn folder?

You aren't only user.. you may be the only human one but windows has users called SYSTEM and TRUSTEDINSTALLER which likely have higher permissions to some folders than you do, for a reason.. that reason being so they can continue to do what they designed to do.. run windows.

SO generally only answer is a clean install as taking ownership off it could mean all sorts of windows functions no longer work as expected or at all.

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks all for the help. As I had recently done a fresh install it made the most sense to just do one again, rather than risk further messing things up, Though I did not run into any issues with using the computer as regular for two weeks prior to reformatting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.