Win 7 Pro x64 XP Compatible - File Sharing Issue

ldg456

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Home Business Network recently upgraded from 3 HP PCs running XP Pro and 1 HP workstation running Win 7 Pro x64 XP Compatible. One of the HPs running XP Pro was used as the "Server PC". hosting our document and image files and the Sage ACT database. File and database sharing worked fine with no problems among all four.

Four weeks ago we elected to upgrade to two new Dell workstations. They arrive three weeks ago, 1 T3600 and 1 T5600 both running Win 7 Pro x64 XP Compatible. We elected to keep the HP workstation running Win 7 Pro x64 XP Compatible to use it as our Server-PC.

We changed none of our networking hardware, which consist of a U-Verse gateway, two LinkSys plug and play switch boxes (1 in 4 out) and one Cisco System plug and play switch box (1 in 8 out). From the beginning the two Dell workstation have shared with each other and the HP workstation, but the HP workstation acting as the Server PC will not share. I spent over a week and a half trying to get the HP to share. This include countless hours of my own, coupled with Pay For Technical Level One Support from Microsoft (India). The tech bailed on me refunding our money and telling me I needed to use Microsoft Level Two support which cost about three times as much. The corruption the tech left in his wake caused me to have to do clean installs of the software and drivers on all three PCs. I went through a similar experience with Tech Support from Sage ACT. The only bright spot in this dilemma has been Dell Pro Support helping me do clean installs on the Dell workstations each time I need them. I purchased a 3rd Dell workstation to replace the HP workstation grasping at straws. Once the 3rd Dell workstation was installed, we encountered the same file sharing issues we had with the HP workstation.

Dell Pro Support has been unable to help, although they have tried. Each computer is configured the same for sharing using a common workgroup and no passwords. The first two Dells continue to share with no problems, but the new Dell is having the same file sharing issue as the HP workstation.

It seems as if there is some variable in Win 7 that is limiting the number of PCs that can share files without a password. I am at an impasse. Any help would be appreciated.

All Microsoft workstation class OS's have a simultaneous connection limit. The limit for Windows 7 appears to be 20. This covers all shares. As an example: The "server" is sharing 4 resources (directories, printers, etc.). If all stations on the network are connected to all 4 resources then only 5 stations can be serviced (5x4=20). If you need more than 20 connections then you need to invest in a server class OS.

ldg456

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

I am aware when you share a folder the maximum number of simultaneous users is limited to a maximum of 20 for each shared folder. You can set it lower if desired. However, I am not sure how that translates into limiting the overall possible connections with 3 PCs on the network having the ability to access the shared folders on each other, three network printers and a HP-Home Server used for backing up the PCs. And we have three Internet phone devices on the network as well, which brings the total number of devices on the home office network to eleven. Thus the need for the switch boxes, as the U=Verse gateway only has four ports. However, all the devices are rarely on at the same time.

Please explain how the shared folder limit of 20 simultaneous users limits access to the other devices?

Thanks in advance...