Win 7 shows only 2GB available memory

lfforte

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I have 4GB of DDR3 memory installed but the computer shows 1.99Gb available memory.
Any suggestions? I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Asus P7P55D-E Pro and G.SKill ripjaws PC1600

And you did actually make sure that underneath the Installed Memory line, the System Type did show "64-Bit Operating System", correct?

Sounds like a dumb question, I know, but you would be surprised at how many people miss this, even when they expected 64 bit Windows 7 to be installed.

What does Task Manger have to say about this? Check the Performance tab and under Physical Memory, note the number on the Total, Cached, and Available lines.

That's what I told you to check for earlier from number 8 in the other thread. Memory remapping being disabled is quite often the cause of this issue.

The Memory Remap feature can be found in the BIOS under the Advanced section, then enter the menu called Uncore Configuration. Set "Memory Remap Feature" to Enabled. Save the BIOS settings and exit by hitting F10.

On the 1156 socket, the ram should be installed in the slot furthest from the CPU, skip the next closest slot, then install in the one after that.

Edit: Found a pic of the board. Make sure the ram is installed in the 2 blue ram slots seen in the image.

asus-p7p55d.jpg

This is not symptomatic of remapping or 32/64 bit issues. It would likely be showing more than 1.99GB.

More background on the system could be important. New build? Older build with ram upgrade? Is the ram showing in the bios? ETC....

I suspect 2 problems:

1) Run MSCONFIG. In the boot menu there is a option to limit memory to a user configurable value. Make sure its not a software/OS limit.

2) Core I3/I5/I7 often have missing memory as a result of bent cpu pins. Remove the CPU and check for bent pins.
i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory
If you have 'X' amount of memory installed, and either the BIOS, or Windoze is only showing 'Y' amount available, the very first thing to do is: pull your CPU, get a flashlight & magnifying glass, and check your socket for bent or distorted pins:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3333/bentpinsall.jpg
Nineteen times out of twenty, you will find 'em! Excellent pictorial guide to installation/examination from Intel.
...if the pins are not too badly mangled, they can often be 'teased' back into place, using:
a jeweler's tweezer (most large hobby shops)
a jeweler's screwdriver (any dollar store)
a dental pick/tool (often found at dollar stores or hardware store counters)
or
a 'pin-vise' with a sewing needle mounted in it (a 'pin-vise' is a little thing the size and shape of a kid's crayon, that has a tiny chuck at one end, much like a drill chuck - they are used to drill ultra-fine holes in small work, and can be found, again, at any large hobby-shop or hardware store...)
...just takes a steady hand, and a bunch of patience [:bilbat]

bilbat

lfforte

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Windows shows 4.0 GB installed (physical memory). If windows shows the 4 GB then I suspect the CPU pins are not bent. I was very careful when installing the CPU.

Bios shows 2.0 GB

The symptoms you just described sound more like bent pins now than before. Suit yourself.

lfforte

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I'm surprised no one suggested checking for proper seating of the memory stick.
I took aout the CPU and then had a hell of a time putting the heat sink back on.
I simply reseated the memory sticks and now the BIOS shows 4 GB usable memory.

This is my bad. I assumed you had already done this. I was fairly sure it was the pins, but I would have done everything else first since taking off the heatsink is not easy. I wrote that out in my post originally and then took it out because it seemed too long winded.

I should have been more precise. I just made more work for you in the end. Sorry.

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
The reduction in available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:

The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices
The ability of the motherboard to handle memory
The System BIOS version and settings
The version of Windows 7 that is installed
Other system settings.

LOL, I wouldn't worry about it FALCON. As I was reading this I was thinking along the same lines as you, I had figured anyone with a memory problem would have already tried re-seating it.

TRENDING THREADS