win 7 sleep works but not hibernate

acatalano

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I have a 1 year old Lenovo T430s laptop with Win 7 pro 64 bit and 16 GB ram. I have changed out the original hard drive with an SSD. Since then (I think, not completely sure) the computer will go into sleep mode, but not hibernate. I have confirmed hibernate is on in the registry, there is a hiberfil.sys on drive C: and the power settings are correct, enabling the hibernate setting. Sleep is creating the hiberfil.sys file. However when I remove the computer's battery, a restart shows that Win 7 has crashed. Also after the computer goes into sleep mode, the fingerprint reader flashes as does the power button indicating that the power is back on. I have also checked the hardware settings of the NIC and wireless card to make sure they cannot wake up the computer.

I have also re-installed the original hard drive just to check that I was not imagining that it ever worked! The original HD does enable hibernation. This was not a fresh Windows install, I cloned the original HD!!

Any ideas please as I am going a bit crazy and the Lenovo forum has not been helpful at all.

silentplanner

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
click Microsoft Fix it
MicrosoftFixit50462.msi will download
run it, it will set hibernation on your pc.