Win 7 slow boot

spawnanton

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Slow boot into windows with SSD
I have a 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD as my OS drive. The drive is still less than half full- just Win 7 and some small programs. The problem is that it used to take about 25-30 sec to go from off to desktop, but now it takes over a minute 65-70 sec to do the same. The black screen with Windows logo hangs around for 40-45 sec- which wasn't the case before.
Windows is not starting a bunch of programs at start up (disabling everything I could/should in sys config gives me a 4-5 sec boost at most)
Any ideas. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Asus z77-v PRO
i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 Ghz
8GB G.Skill ram @ 1600 MHz
2X Nvidia 560Ti in SLI
Corsair 750W power supply

asktod

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Try cleaning your star-tup programs. Do 'Ctrl+R', then type 'msconfig'. Go to start-up tab, and clear the unwanted items. Be careful you don't disable something important though!

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
Maybe have to reformat and clean install. I had a laptop once (using HDD of course) that took 10 mins to get to past the windows log-in screen, after reformat, it loads at normal speed.

spawnanton

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Ok guys, I figured it out. After i reluctantly did a clean win7 install everything went back to normal... but after installing all the programs i had before the win7 re-install I ran into the same problem again. I narrowed it down to ArcSoft TotalMedia 6-after I installed it my boot time went from 25-30 sec to 60-70. I disabled everything related to TMT6 in msconfig (under: services, boot) but that did not help a bit. Any Ideas what else I can do with it?
For now I have uninstalled TMT6 and my boot times are back down to 25-30 sec.

On an unrelated note: can anyone recommend good, free CPU and GPU bench-marking utilities? Are cpuZ and MSI Afterburner good choices?
Thank you everyone for your help.

jaydabros

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Hi guys.

I had the same problem, but I sorted that out.
I tried almost everything, fresh Windows install, scanning for problems etc.
I have noticed long LAN startup as well and checked with Windows Event Viewer what is causing problems.

In my case it was KASPERSKY PURE 2 !!!

What I did was I unticked option in Kaspersky application "Launch Kaspersky at computer startup"

I also suspected STEAM, but it had nothing to do with that.

I hope that will help you guys.

DBellas

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

On the unrelated Note:
3 utilites I have used are CPU-Z from cupid.com small ap gives total info on your CPU, but not really a benchmark tool. Another Information tool for your GPU is TechPowerUp GPU-Z, from techpowerup.com/downloads.

The gold standard is Futuremark 3D Mark for gaming and is offered free for the basic version and comes in versions for the DirectX version you are running. FutureMark PCMark is a "system" BMarker. Finally they offer a SystemInfo tool which provides info similar to CPU-Z.
Have Fun,
DBellas