[SOLVED] Win 7 to Win 10 - no go

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgrey

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Win 7 is done, as of today. I’ve been trying for a few days to upgrade to Win 10 without erasing all my stuff (keep apps and files).

It won’t work, it always gives the error:

0xC1900101 - 0x2000C

which is vague. Ive gone through various suggested fixes, such as:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-0x2000c/143b839d-a2ea-4b73-bb37-19ac0d22e9c6

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Honestly, could this error be more vague? It’s everything from “driver conflict” to “you have too much hardware installed”. What should I do, take out all but one stick of RAM? Disconnect my legacy DVD burner? This is absurd. I’ve gone through the above attempts, no go.

The install process gets all the way through to at least 95% installed, restarts, then has a problem when “installing updates” and reverts back to Win 7.

Please, please, please, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
To answer your questions in order 1) No, that should not be an issue 2) Yes, Windows 10 makes it very easy to register the changing of a folder to a different location. In your case you would open the file manager, right click on the Documents folder, click Properties-> Location and choose were you want to move the folder. 3)Yes, MS will likely allow you to use your Windows 7 license for Windows 10. Further, MS has your Windows 7 license attached to your computer, so and you don't need to start with a Win7 install to upgrade to Windows 10.

As far as the error, one common cause is you have a USB plugged in other than the install media. If you choose a clean install, these are the directions...

mrgrey

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
it could be a bad driver or an incompatible program causing the error. but just to make things a little clearer what are your PC specs?

Intel core i5 750 @ 3GHz
GA P55A-UD3 @ 150 MHz bus
Samsung SSD 465 GB (OS/games) + WD Black 600 GB (my docs) + WD Black 600 GB (backup)
12 GB gSkill DDR3-1600 (2x2 + 2x4)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 FTW
Antec Earthwatts 650

mrgrey

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Could the fact that my documents point to a different physical drive cause problems?

can I clean install and still point Win 10 to a separate physical documents drive?

can I clean install Win 10 and still use my Win 7 key for activation?

To answer your questions in order 1) No, that should not be an issue 2) Yes, Windows 10 makes it very easy to register the changing of a folder to a different location. In your case you would open the file manager, right click on the Documents folder, click Properties-> Location and choose were you want to move the folder. 3)Yes, MS will likely allow you to use your Windows 7 license for Windows 10. Further, MS has your Windows 7 license attached to your computer, so and you don't need to start with a Win7 install to upgrade to Windows 10.

As far as the error, one common cause is you have a USB plugged in other than the install media. If you choose a clean install, these are the directions. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution
Could the fact that my documents point to a different physical drive cause problems?

can I clean install and still point Win 10 to a separate physical documents drive?

can I clean install Win 10 and still use my Win 7 key for activation?
If you redirected in the proper way then no, this will not cause problems. However, if you did as many did and moved the entire "Users" tree to a separate disk then yes, you will have problems until you move everything back to where it belongs.

Win 7 is done, as of today. I’ve been trying for a few days to upgrade to Win 10 without erasing all my stuff (keep apps and files).

It won’t work, it always gives the error:

0xC1900101 - 0x2000C

which is vague. Ive gone through various suggested fixes, such as:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-0x2000c/143b839d-a2ea-4b73-bb37-19ac0d22e9c6

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Honestly, could this error be more vague? It’s everything from “driver conflict” to “you have too much hardware installed”. What should I do, take out all but one stick of RAM? Disconnect my legacy DVD burner? This is absurd. I’ve gone through the above attempts, no go.

The install process gets all the way through to at least 95% installed, restarts, then has a problem when “installing updates” and reverts back to Win 7.

Please, please, please, any help is appreciated.

This sounds like a disk space issue. Failed installs at the last moment tend to indicate the install process ran out of disk space.

Also on a separate note you can simply disconnect your documents drive while upgrading to Win10 on your system drive...once the install is complete plug the other drive in and just browse for your documents.

mrgrey

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
This sounds like a disk space issue. Failed installs at the last moment tend to indicate the install process ran out of disk space.

Also on a separate note you can simply disconnect your documents drive while upgrading to Win10 on your system drive...once the install is complete plug the other drive in and just browse for your documents.

I have more than half the space left on the 465GB SSD, so it is not a space issue.

I uninstalled Norton and malware bytes, but no luck. I’ll try disconnecting all the extra drives, and try again, but yeah I think at this point the clean install option will be the least time.

mrgrey

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
As far as the error, one common cause is you have a USB plugged in other than the install media. If you choose a clean install, these are the directions. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

The only USB is the mouse and keyboard. So shrug? Who knows why Windows does this stuff....

I am not using External install media, I downloaded the upgrade exe and ran it straight off that. Could that be the problem?

lynx1021

Distinguished
I have found if you are upgrading to windows 10 you should only have your Boot drive connected. No other drives. It may be looking for the default folders. My friend moved his "My pictures and "My Documents on windows Vista and I had to do a complete reinstall to fix it. He moved some folders again an I tried to use "PC mover" to his newer computer it failed because it was looking for the default folders to move and couldn't find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.