Win 7 update problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

klippenwald

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I have win 7 64 bit and Ubuntu installed with GRUB. Win and Linux are on separate drives.

I keep getting the error 800f0a12 when trying to do the SP 1 update. I've tried disconnecting the Linux drive, setting the win drive to active (doesn't change), and any number of other googled fixes. Nothing works.

Anybody have any ideas how to get SP1 installed in this situation?

This error is caused by Windows not being able to see the 100MB partition that it created due to the Ubuntu installation. open a command prompt, running it elevated as Administrator, and type “mountvol /E” at the command prompt.
Another thing to try is to install SP1 in safe mode in case any program is causing a conflict.

Hi :)

That is not what I meant lol :)

I meant you can download an .ISO of SP1 direct from MS site (not using Windows update)

The write the ISO to a disc and then try installing from the disc.....

All the best Brett :)

klippenwald

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

I understood what you meant. I downloaded SP1 as a separate file and tried to install it without windows update.

klippenwald

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Math1337 had the nearest best answer.

BCDedit on its own would not work, it returned an error that the store could not be opened, probably because of GRUB. I did not have one of the 100MB partitions either. After trying various bcdedit commands, further searching revealed EasyBCD, which worked like a charm. I was able to move the MBR, use BCD and now can use the Windows boot loader for both my Ubuntu and Win 7 installation.

This fixed the problem that SP1 was unable to locate the windows installation drive.

SP1 update successful.

Thanks for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.