Win 7 (Upgrade) install files won't load from dvd to Samsung 840EVO SSD

lemlux

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I have the 2009 initial release version of Win 7 64 bit upgrade version which I had loaded on an Asus P5Q motherboard (P45 chipset) with its final 2009 BIOS upgrade.

Boot priority is set to DVD and Hard Drive Priority is set to the SSD which normally avoids a dual-boot startup screen after upgrade to a HD with the XT drive installed.

When attempting to install new installation on new Samsung 840EVO 250 Gb SSD (with upgrade-required XP boot drive as the only other attached drive) the install process booted from installation dvd reports an unknown failure within seconds of reading files and starting windows.

This happens whether I set Bios as IDE or as AHCI. Setting Bios as AHCI has the further problem of rendering the XT boot drive subsequently unbootable. So, I reinstalled basic XT 32 bit (2002 release pre service packs) on another drive and experienced the same Win 7 install failure in IDE Bios mode.

The SSD works. I copied an 18 GB directory of installation directories to it without problems.

Questions:
1. I initialized the SSD on another computer and formatted as MBR-default sector size. I later found that although I can reformat the SSD, I can't de-initialize it. How should I prepare the SSD for the installation?

2. Do I need an original Windows 7 installation DVD (not upgrade) for the SSD?

3. Do I need a windows 7 installation DVD at the Service Pack 1 level?

4. Other Suggestions???

Ugh...Typed the whole thing. Then hit submit. Then internet went out....fml...hahah gotta retype it all over.

1) You don't need to de-initialize. That is a one time thing when you buy a new drive. I don't even know if you can de-initialize it and don't worry about the formatting. When you install windows 7 it will ask about disk management and formatting and what not when you come to it.

2) No the upgrade works just fine

3) No just once your install don't do any updates. Search for the SP1 it self and download that. Windows won't tell you about SP1 until all the updates before SP1 are install which is pretty much what SP1 is.

4) Here is a site to help you out on doing a clean install of windows 7. Its pretty straight foward. Just make sure to follow the Clean install option link at the begining of this page. NEVER do an in place upgrade over XP or Vista. Always do a clean install. Also i would disconnect any other drives you have while installing just to get them out of the way so they don't cause any errors.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html